Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to set a d15b to tune

I am new with the d15b I don’t know how to hook up the 3 stage vtec. I want to use a usdm ecu I have chipped and will be running crome.

So I was reading what do you think I should do?
Use a msd rpm window switch?
Usa a p72/ converted to p72 spec and use the iab output?
Just hit both vtec solenoids at the same time? Or just use one?
Where do I get a base map I found one on pgmfi but it only have low and high?
Ya I know some of the options suck but it is what other people have done in the past according to my Google research. I know I want to use both solenoids. I have tuned a b7y8, b7z6, a z6 and a b2 mpfi swap on crome but this motor is way different then the rest.

Also what solenoid is what? (just to confirm)

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
you have a little dislexia problem, kiddo (b instead of d).

lol.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
if you really want the lean burn or whatever, i woud do it through the IAB's and tune the low cam well. from the factory the lean burn 1 intake valve is only on below 2500rpm
just tune the low cam like you normally would and then the high cam.

or if you have ectune you could use one of its outputs and use that

i would start with a regular d15b 2 stage bin and tune from there since only the section below 2500 will be affected

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
I would also suggest a similar thing. The multiple outputs needed could be done with multiple programs. I would say convert a p06/p28 to run iabs and do it with crome.... or cheap out and buy a window switch aka- shift light from ebay for 35 bux and use that...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry lol d15b changed.

So If I ditch the lean burn. I would just run it like it was a d16z6 I would have a high and low cam. That is fine But what vtec solenoid is the high cam one? So I get this hooked up correct.

So let me get this straight at lower rpm one solenoid is activated to run lean burn then at mid range both are off and at high rpms the other solenoid is kicked on the activate normal vtec. LOL I am still a bit confused. Or is it none on lower rpms one on mid and one on high?

My town is broke not a lot of people get jdm motor swap This is probably one of 2 d15bs in town.

·
Registered
eg9
344 Posts
when both solenoids are off its in lean burn mode when the first solenoid activates it operates like the normal jdm d15b vtec.

if you wanna make things easy you can run that engine on carbs and use the msd switches to activate both solenoids then lean out the low end by pilot jet or air jet and you'll be pretty close to the 54mpg

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
http://www.jdmcars.com/tech/vtec2.pdf

Found this it is nice. So ya I have to find a way to activate both solenoids Or I will just go from lean burn to high vtec. Is what I gather.

So at low rpm all solenoids are off one intake opens. Mid rpm mid vtec solenoid one both intakes open. High rpm High vtec solenoid on both intake valves way open.

Ok I will probably go the iab wrought or the rpm window switch wrought. What if I just run 12v to the mid solenoid and use the high off the vtec output of the ecu. Will this cause low oil psi with mid on at all times or any engaging problems? So I would just ditch the one valve set up. But still what vtec solenoid is what lol. I have researched and found mixed answers. I find more red is 2nd stage and the other is 3rd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts