Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok so I'm trying to finish up this rear disc swap and I'm trying to find a NEW 15/16th 99-00 civic si master. This is on a 97 dx hatch, non abs. Everywhere I look (advanced auto, auto zone, ebay) lists the part as a 7/8 bore. Can someone help me find one that is definitely 15/16th. I'd like to state that I'm not trying to buy one from Majestic because its $166.

After doing some research I've found a few people saying that the 97-00 civic ex master is also a 15/16th bore, not sure if thats true but I'm going to try to make it to the junkyard tomorrow to confirm....(I actually just confirmed this by looking at my girls 99 ex, it does have a 15/16th master). So I could grab one from the junkyard but I'd rather get a new one.

Edit: This is my conclusion

So after walking all around the junkyard this morning and online research here is what I have come to find to be 100% true.

1. The Si shares the same master cylinder with the EX. However it is 7/8th and NOT 15/16th like a lot of people state online.
  2. The EX with ABS has a 15/16th brake master cylinder.
  3. The non abs ls and dx have a 13/16th master cylinder.
I ended up picking up the cleanest looking 7/8 master I could find today that had the lid on it. It was only $10 so if it ends up being bad i'll just buy a rebuild kit and still be under the cost of buying a new/reman one. I'm also considering going back and getting a 15/16th from a abs ex and trying it out since I couldn't find a definite reason that I can't use it.

Here's a little up date:

I have about 100 miles on this set up and it feels great. No locking of the rear brakes or anything. Pedal feels a tad more firm than stock, which I like a lot.

Here is my brake set up:

7/8 master from a NON ABS 96-00 ex
STOCK dx proportioning valve
DA integra front brakes on ex knuckles with brembo rotors and hawk hps pads
DA integra rear brakes on stock DX trailing arms with bremho rotors and hawk hps pads
BF Goodrich SS brake lines (I plan to upgrade to stoptech in the future)
DOT 3 fluid

One thing I would like to note - Make sure you get brake hoses that match the calipers you are using, not the car - I found out the hard way

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, sorry I guess I just assumed people are reading my build thread LOL. Anyway its a 97 dx hatch without ABS. I did integra front brakes and am doing integra rear brakes as well.

Why is the em1 master not the correct donor, it has the same part number as the non abs ex?

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
If all you did was a rear disc ocnversion, ANY master cylinder that was in a 4-disc honda (that bolts up) will work.

spend money that you save on new brake rubber lines or brand-name steel braided lines.
EDIT DAMN NINJA!! (or damn me for typing slow lol)

just grab an integra master then. Why do you NEED a civic SI master?

EDIT#2 7/8 bore is perfectly satisfactory for you. the brake boosters are also avasilable in different sizes. if you want a stiffer pedal, going with a smaller booster can help that feeling. BUt not needed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question: Why does everyone say you need to swap to a em1 prop valve, but on Majestic the part number between a dx and si are the same 46210-S04-902?

·
Registered
276 Posts
rockauto.com has 3 left on closeout @ $54.79. found under 1997 Civic

RAYBESTOS MC390406 Professional Grade; Bore Size=15/16"
Sedan; EX Model
There are others there for "Non-ABS; Coupe; EX Model" but those don't specify bore size. You could probably find out their bore size by googling the part numbers. That sedan one I pointed out *might* be for ABS??? I have no clue.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Another question: Why does everyone say you need to swap to a em1 prop valve, but on Majestic the part number between a dx and si are the same 46210-S04-902?
Cause some people didn't brother to research back in the day and it got wrote in stone you have to swap the prop, but as you found you do not.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rockauto.com has 3 left on closeout @ $54.79. found under 1997 Civic

There are others there for "Non-ABS; Coupe; EX Model" but those don't specify bore size. You could probably find out their bore size by googling the part numbers. That sedan one I pointed out *might* be for ABS??? I have no clue.
Thanks for finding that for me but sadly they all seem to be 7/8 or for abs. +1

Cause some people didn't brother to research back in the day and it got wrote in stone you have to swap the prop, but as you found you do not.
Thanks for confirming that for me! Whats your opinion on running the si/5 speed ex master cylinder with integra front/rear disc?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
or you could use the 91 si 15/16ths and be good

·
4,045 Posts
no. its a direct bolt on

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
I don't know what the 96-00 dx master cylinder and brake lines look like so you'll need to research yourself.

The 90-91 ex 15/16ths master cylinder is direct bolt on for 92-95 civic without abs and the same as dc integra RS which did not come with abs.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
There are people out there who have started with a DX, and did nothing but the rear integra brakes, and didnt even touch the master or the prop valve and drove just fine.

The availability of interchangeability means you can play around with pedal feel and performance to really get your car's brake balance and comfort just where you want it.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts

·
4,045 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I also have integra front brakes with hps pads, brembro rotors, and stoptech stainless lines all around.

Also in the "how to put x brakes" thread he says to put the 15/16th master on. And his bore sizes seem to be mixed up.

I think I'm going to try to find a non abs master from a ej8 in the junkyard and pick it up for a few bucks and try it out and return with updates when I get the car back on the road in a month or so.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
http://www.d-series.org/forums/suspension-corner/151822-another-brake-question.html

another Honda wtf when they changed generations. swap in a 92-95 ex booster and use a 91 si master. or find a 00 si and use its master, but cant promise itll be 15/16ths.

The si and non abs ex share the same part # according to Majectics database and all the honda made masters have the size cast into the side so I'll know when I see it.

I'm def not swapping boosters if I can do it for less with a 6th gen master.

Edit:

I just skimmed that thread you linked and hes saying that the ex master is a 7/8 but just looked at my girls car which is a 99 ex with abs and its a 15/16 master. I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow for sure now to look for a 5 speed ex and see what size master is on it because this is bugging me now.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts