Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Working on my new-to-me ‘99 EX with a D16Y8 VTEC, replacing the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, tensioner and a few other things. I pulled the head off a few days ago and found a few concerning issues that are out of my range of knowledge.

There’s some burrs on the inside of the coolant channels of the around cylinder 1, and on the inlet from where the water pump mounts. Also some metal-looking flakes on the piston heads and in the coolant too(possible it could just be parts of the old HG or carbon buildup?) none of the burrs are on the surface of the block, just inside of it. Water pump impeller and body look fine, nothing broken off, same with the thermostat. And the head doesn’t show any signs of damage or cracking but it looks damp in one spot, above cylinder 2

There’s also what looks to be a very small crack in an oil passage on the head, but I don’t know if it’s something to worry about since it’s not through the body of the block, it’s just on the edge of the oil passage

Small crack in oil passage right above where the A/C idler/adjustment pulley mounts onto the block

Burrs along the outside wall of coolant passage surrounding #1 cylinder, also visible-metal flakes on top of piston #1

Burrs around water pump housing inlet coming into the block

I don’t want to slap all of this back together and end up blowing a HG or worse.
Any ideas or suggestions? Am I over-analyzing this or is it something to worry about?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
why did you yank the head gasket? rule of thumb is to usually have the head and block decked for flatness if you remove it for a head gasket issue .

get a small file or deburr tool and deburr it. looks like factory stuff

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah depends on power goal really, i started pushing head gasket at 300 metering coolant pressure., i decked the head, new oem gaskets and k20 studs and its perfect just over 400. I dont want any more power but this will hold great. typicaly the block dosnt warp.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
k series studs? why not arp'd d16?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts