Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after almost a decade of tracking and racing FWD Hondas, I finally made the decision to purchase a RWD for the stable. I know first people think of is an S2000. Trust me, I thought about it, however the S2000 doesn't suit my large frame. I tried driving my friend's, however my knees are right up against the steering wheel. Which wasn't comfortable for me at all. Also I do not like convertibles at all, had I bought an S2000. The soft top would have to go completely and a very expensive hard top would need to be purchased.

So I started looking for alternatives. First car I looked at was a C5 Corvette Z06. I have never been a big fan of them, nor majority of those that own them. But you cannot deny their performance. They are a great platform to start with and getting more affordable each and every day. Two things that made me decide against this was it's cost of consumables. Tires and brake pads are f*cking expensive for the car!

My fiance has always been a fan of Mazdas. So I started looking around, found a couple clean miatas. Fiance wasn't a fan, so I looked around for an RX8, even given the bad reputation of the cars I wanted to try out a rotary. That's when I found probably the cleanest example of a used RX8 I have ever seen for sale. Most of the cars have been abused and driven in winter. This car had not seen a winter ever, and came in the best color option available Velocity Red Mica. It was at the local stealership, so her and I drove over there and took it out for a test drive. From that point on I knew I had to find one.

Started searching around for good examples. Test drove a white one, I love white cars, and there were issues with the trans, thing howled like crazy. Plus it had been a smokers car. So after a couple days of talking with my fiance we decided to purchase the original car we test drove.

This is the car we bought! My friend and I took a drive up to Milwaukee and he shot this picture of it.

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
3 days after purchasing the car, I talked my fiance into taking it out to Gingerman Raceway for Honda Meet since my race car wasn't up and running. It was definitely a learning experience driving this car. Good HP, no torque, and pretty damn heavy. Brakes are phenomenal even with OEM pads!

Photo shot by my good friend Nathan Vestal when he was working with Redline Photo.

Another photo I found someone had taken of it on track.

During the first day we ran into some issues. After the 2nd twenty minute session out, the transmission began shifting rough into 4th. After parking the car to cool down, I hopped in it and the shifter was really hard to get into any gear. Ran down to the local South Haven Autozone and picked up a few quarts of Mobile 1 Synthetic Gear Lube. Upon draining the old stuff out, and filling it up with new fluid fixed the issues we were having. Oh and speaking of brakes..... After the first day. I had toasted what was left of the pads that came on the car! Made a second trip to Autozone and bought new pads and rotors to get me through the next day on track.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Nice, if I had the time and money I would totally pick up a first or second gen miata to play around with, those things are dirt cheap around here.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Drive the shit out of it EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE IT. Seriously.

My sister didn't heed my warning and her car went through 3 engine (YES THREE!) before she sold it with 58K on the clock.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts

My sister didn't head my warning and her car went through 3 engine (YES THREE!) before she sold it with 58K on the clock.
This man speaks the truth. IIRC, I think they even recommend taking it to redline at least once a month.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Once a drive/Heatcycle!

Hell I do that with all my engines. One good WOT pull onto the freeway is like a good, *ahem* in the morning. Blows out all the old carbon and seals it up. Engine always runs better too. Was very noticeable on a D16 I built with Wisecos 0.0040 P2W. Always ran the best after hours of soak driving between Bellingham and Tacoma Wa.

RWD I have gotten to play with has been a Ford Ranger, a 91 Miata, and my current 89 240sx. The Miata makes a Civic look huge and has little room for anything, including the driver. Definitely a Sports Coupe, not a fantastic DD or very useful. If you want to go or drive fast though, they will certainly let you. The Stock 240 feels almost exactly like my Gmas Honda Accord under normal driving conditions. But like a pickup truck when it slips.

Hopefully the Supra will get off the ground soon. Built MkIII 7MGTE

AWD experience has been the Typical WRX Subie series, and B5 A4 Audi, highly recommend the Audi. After working on and in Subaru cars, I think they are silly, just a large scene right now.

You going to change up the RX-8 in any fashion or try to remain a reasonable passenger vehicle. Weight Mods? Turbo? Interior? Bridgeport? New Apex seals? ECU?

·
Registered
Cars...
6 Posts
I have similar thoughts on corvettes. I feel like I should like them... like they're guilting me into liking them with their performance at such a cost... but I just can't do it.

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

My sister didn't heed my warning and her car went through 3 engine (YES THREE!) before she sold it with 58K on the clock.
This man speaks the truth. IIRC, I think they even recommend taking it to redline at least once a month.
Yup! My bud/sponsor is a rotary fanatic. Told me all the dos and don'ts of rotary ownership. Redline at least once after engine is to temp. And generally just beat it like it owes you money to ensure carbon deposits are burnt off. I also bought the pre-mix oil from Idemitsu. But found out it clogs the cat. So stopped using it every fill until I deleted the cat.

Got to love the "3rd door"!
Technically there are 4!

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDnP_rWu89c one was putting up a heck of a fight in global rallycross a few years ago. fun to watch.
Finally watched this video, the driver of that RX8 was a BEAST! Seriously talented to be able to pull that win off! Seemed he had better acceleration out of the corners, hard to believe with how much angle he was using in the corners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts