Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, i went to home depot and got a 4 foot by 3 foot piece of 3/4" mdf cut for me. $15 Then i went to walmart and got a piece of thick black fabric just barely bigger than 4'x3'. $5 Then i went to work with the tape measure and a straight edge and a jig saw and then got out the staple gun. I stretched the fabric over the board and secured it on the backside the whole way around, then i cut a hole for the sub and droped it in.
This is what it looks like after $20 and 2 hours of mild carpentry.

In my opinion, it should be a big improvement over how it was before.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, i cut the box down cause the tire well isn't deep enough. I took 2 inches off the top and screwed it to the underside of the board.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
if you take away airspace you wont get the sound right and it will be easy to blow... sorry...

Reactions: remoer

·
Registered
186 Posts
looks clean man!

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
if you take away airspace you wont get the sound right and it will be easy to blow... sorry...
well you also have to think that some subs can work within .05cuft-1.5cuft. it just hit won't hit hard within sm cuft.

Reactions: PianoMan and 4Door

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
I did something like this but the sub is reversed so the magnet is sticking up. I like the look. It makes for a much cleaner looking install and shows you really put some thought into it.

also a good way to add more air space in a box:TU:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yep, looks good. It's a valid concern about starving the back of your woof of airspace, and I'd echo it a bit.

Without knowing anything about the sub itself, it looks like it's already in a small sealed box before, so making it a bit smaller will probably only raise the low freq cutoff a bit. How's it sound?

Was there batting/fiberfill/stuff that looks like insulation in the orig box? Make sure you transfer it over, and take a little bit away (proportional to the drop in volume).

But it looks clean. If you get creative and industrious later on, I'd try to expand the box (w/o getting too crazy) into the rest of the trunk. Sealed subs LOVE the room.

PM

Reactions: 4Door and remoer

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
It's got some problems with the box hitting the floor of the trunk. I think i'm gonna mold up some fiberglass.
depending on how much air space your woofer needs as well as how much power your running to it, there is a simple way to make a box out of what you allready have...

take some plastic, garbage bag, clingfilm etc... line your spare tire compartment with it, lay some old t-shirts over the plastic, make sure it sticks up a tiny bit above the tire wheel, so when to screw down the wood again it will fit tight onto the t-shirts... then take some fiberglass resin and mix it up, just pour it on the t-shirts and take an old paint brush and spread it around... you dont need a real heavy coat, just enough to make it air tight... with the plastic down first you will be able to remove it in one piece if you ever need/want to... this will increase the air space, if it will be to much, simply line up the t-shirt so it will be a smaller space... it should sound preety damn good...

Reactions: PianoMan

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's got some problems with the box hitting the floor of the trunk. I think i'm gonna mold up some fiberglass.
:TU:

Hate to see some of that wasted space underneath. Give the woof some air to breathe!!! Gonna put a grille on it? That set up would be a perfect chance for my wife to roll some groceries on it, or the kids to use it as a "bird bath." ;)

PM

·
Registered
46 Posts
my advice, rebuild and make a damn ported box! I haven't a clue how that is going to sound! BOX is 90% of install! I bet if you make a good box and not have it in the floor, your going to be 2X happier!!

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
my advice, rebuild and make a damn ported box! I haven't a clue how that is going to sound!

then why are you hating on it???

sub's in the floor actually can sound very good, i had two 10's in the floor a long time ago, they sounded hella good, also had nice deep bass...

let us know how your sub sounds... :TU:

·
Registered
391 Posts
He already said he was going to rebuild it - I agree, that's probably the best.

Not knowing the woof specs, a sealed box is much more forgiving not being the optimal size than a ported. For all we know, the woof's Qts and other parameters might be best suited for a sealed application. As long as it's designed and built properly, and airtight, location is irrelevant on how it's going to sound. The trunk floor's a good a place as any.

PM

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not nessesarily. Things also depend on how the sub firing is made, if the sub fired up, down, side to side, or towards the fron of the car or the rear of the vehicle.

you are also right about box displacement wether the speaker works better in sealed enclosures or in ported, and finding that out you can either speak to say mtx techs or build by what you think will work. As far as making it air tight so no wave passes through the baffle, it is not easy to get that done in a floor mounted box like he has in his picture. i am only talking about the picture he had posted as far as box is concerned. If this is a crx install, I know that unless you fiberglass the spare tire well and do some real good shit to seal that between some wood that has also been fiberglassed, well you know what, don't worry about what I have to say, you do your thing, and hopefully you like it, thats all that matters anyway.

as far as me hating anything, I don't hate anything I just try to make what little people have into something nice and bring out the sound or bass they can get from thier speaker-s. So anyway, do your thing, I'll shut up.

as for my speakers, I have dd9512's dual .7 ohm triple stacked 320oz motors with a power of 3k per coil music handling and 6k for max power per sub. I also run a Z1 amp rated at 3k watts at 12 volts and at 15.5 volts, a bit over 5300 watts and also happens to be the most efficent amp on the planet. I plan to run 2 Z1 on a nsb-90 with 4 runs of 1/0 to electrical grade copper bars and 4 runs of 1/0 wire to ground, so this way my amps have very little resistance from wire. I will keep using 8 gauge power wire for my sub connections. the pic I am posting is of a test box idea that i found while searching for the best and loudest possible way to get a crx. I also have put up a pic of one of the loudest amps on the planet the Z2 insides. BUT as far as my install goes, I'm not in it for looks or for show, I'm in it for loud, louer, and damnit, the loudest. see ya

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
Not being an audiophile, it looks good & dosen't consume the trunk space. Maybe a grill to protect the woofer, other than that I like it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts