Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be perfectly clear, I prefer to listen to my music instead of my exhaust. I had mistakenly thought a vibrant muffler coupled with some resonators would have a low quiet tone, but basically I paid four hundred dollars in parts and labor that left me with the same decibel level and a different note.

All I want is the soft hum of a well-built engine. If I have decent power under the hood I don't want people to know it--that defines stealth for me. In a previous thread Dan15b suggested a 2" OEM muffler would be all a N/A engine would need to have proper flow.

I've also been told a generic chambered muffler would work, but that was from the guy who sold me two magnaflow resonators at a hundred dollars a pop that don't do shit for noise suppression (as compared to no resonator on a cat).

Can anybody suggest the exact type (as in model/year of honda car or brand of OEM manufacturer) that I would need to fit a '95 EG Hatch?

Does the muffler need to be 2" on the intake and exhaust?

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
OEM RSX Type S. It flows quite well and ....hum like....Stock? LOL

and also, I dont quite understand what your trying to ask about the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
he means INLET and OUTLET

inlet simply needs to match your piping

$400 fir exhaust? WTF trhe mufflers are $100 or less, cherrypacks are like $15 or $25, and piping is generally under $150

·
Registered
588 Posts
the longer the resonator the quieter the exhaust. i work at advance auto parts as a second job and all the thrush glasspacks we sell are basicly a preforated core resonator. i had only 2 resonators on my old lsvtec 3" exhaust and it was fairly quiet especially without a muffler.

you have to understand that the sound in the exhaust bounces of the inner walls of the exhaust pipe at different frequencies (resonance), so if you are able to put the longest resonator you can find on the straight pipe under the cabin of the car, it will quiet down the exhaust a lot without losing flow.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah sorry, my vocab sucks on mondays.

As for the parts list it was almost five hundred:

Vibrant muffler $100
Muffler Shop Labor $100+$80 (had them weld on a flex pipe after the first test drive)
Magnaflow Resonators (12" x2) $200

My piping is 2.5" and mandrel bent stainless steel, anyway I can salvage that for a possible switch to a turbocharged build in the future?

I looked up RSX type S mufflers (1st or 2nd Generation?) and they range from $177-$303!! Fuck...man all I want is less noise and proper flow. If that's what I got to do then I'll do it but damn...

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
What the hell? LOL 177-303....I dont know where your looking but on cragslist you see them running for about 100 bucks yo.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Where are you finding OEM mufflers for under $100?
Who said oem?

Oem axleback with muffler cna be had for $80-120 depending on what chassis you buy it for

FUTURE REFERENCE FOR ALL OEM STYLE EXHAUST PEEPS

SEARCH BOSAL <INSERT YEAR AND MODEL> EXAMPLE 95 civic bosal

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
What the hell? LOL 177-303....I dont know where your looking but on cragslist you see them running for about 100 bucks yo.

anyone paying more then say $20 for a used civic muffler is foolish as hell

aluminum rusty POS lol

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Pfsh. Yeah tell me about it. I wont pay more then 20bucks for a used oem civic muffler. id pay 50bucks tops for a rsx type S muffler though. hahaha.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Yeah, I made the mistake of buying a used muffler a year ago. I soaked the whole thing in a deruster, but it still only lasted six months. The tubing rusted and it broke in half during a road trip, and I was forced to take it up the ass from Midas.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't know much about mufflers, but I thought over time a muffler looses it's ability to suppress sound as the material degrades--not sure if that's true so I defaulted to looking at buying a new muffler. I got my prices from AcuraOEMParts.com

Is the dynomax turbo muffler a 17747 or 17748? If I can I'd like to keep the 2.5" diameter throughout the exhaust.The price is definitely right.

Does Bosal have a stock noise level?

I'd check craigslist but I'm at work and have restricted internet options.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
if you have a motorcycle performance shop nearby, you can buy fiberglass sound sheets, and repakc your own muffler

grinder/cutter and welding will be necessary

OR

Spend up to $100 on a used RSX or 06+ civic SI muffler
'
sweet sounding, not rusted, and made of better material

I know the RSX owner in my apartment complex is 100% stock, and has nearly 180k on the car. he must enjoy it a bit, and I know its all original

Ive seen plenty of civics having to get new mufflers before that. Hell my mom drives carefully, and probably never sees over 2500 except going into 4th at 65mph in her 98 lx (d16y7) and she is on her 2nd muffler, and has been patching her exhaust at a friends shop for free EVERY goddamn year

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
cut oem muffler open, put 2 or whatever pipe you want in it make sure to drill holes all though the pipe, pack muffler with fiberglass the end :D

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well if I can't find an RSX muffler/06+ SI muffler I'll get a dynomax turbo. Appreciate the input everyone! That's a good idea Speedjunky01, but I have a vibrant muffler I'm sure someone else wouldn't mind using.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
chambered works also i have a magnaflow and u barely hear it but now that i run a test pipe it came alive.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts