Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sup, guy have a little problem with my d16y8 turbo..i dont no much about single cam this is my 1st single cam turbo, ive had plenty of b16,b18,b20 turbos..i dont no if it the lack of power d series have or what but my car on 9 pounds feels really slow. Ive double check my timing, did a compression test, re-check my spark plug gap, boost leak test i did EVERYTHING. I dont get any wheel spin 1st or 2nd not even a chirp going into 2nd. The car gets great gas, idles smooth and drive perfect.
I just wanna NO why is my d16 so slow???
Mods
ebay turbo kit t3/t4 50trim (i ran this same turbo kit on my ls so i no it not the tubo kit)
450 dsm black top
apexi 3" exhuast
Tuned on Crome
simple setup

I don't wanna do another boring b-series swap because i want the need for speed on my d16. Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have pretty much the same setup. ebay turbo,dsm 450's yadda yadda.

with the .63, i dont think your gonna get wheel spin unless you drop the clutch. the turbo should spool around 3k'ish which people like in order to gain traction. BUT it does pull hard as hell after. doing any racing from a dig doesnt seem great for me.

i honestly dont like the laggy .63 turbine housing so im looking for a .48 turbine housing for my garrett with the .50 a/r. should help with low end power.

is your car street tuned?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah it spools around 3k, it pretty much feels like a all motor b20 vtec when boost kick it....idk manybe d-16 need more boost. yes it street tune.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Did you check machanical timing? or ignition timing? or both?
Have the Injectors been flow tested?
What is the condition of the fuel filter?
What are the AFRs like?
Can you post the tune?
Is it actually tuned, or is it a "basemap"?

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
9 psi on a stock motor? Probably sitting around 175-180 whp if that so yeah, it might feel sort of slow. You can safely take it up to 220ish whp (some push it harder, I wouldn't) but to me, even 200whp feels slow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car his been street tune..injector i sent them to get clean when i had my ls-t motor which wasnt to long ago..i check both timing..when i said i did everything i wasnt playing =(. My wideband read 11-12...ill try and get a pic of my tune

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
9 psi on a stock motor? Probably sitting around 175-180 whp if that so yeah, it might feel sort of slow. You can safely take it up to 220ish whp (some push it harder, I wouldn't) but to me, even 200whp feels slow.
yeah stock motor, but i dont think it even near 175-180..thinking about just replacing the head with a z6 and use the y8 manifold..a friend of mine his a d16 turbo t3 turbo on 10psi spin the wheel pretty easy rolling into 2nd..

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Turn the boost up can't be scared also try a real dyno tune
even just taking it to the dyno to know where your power is sitting would help. A relative "eh this feels slow to me what's wrong," butt dyno won't be able to solve anything. You may very well be at the safe limit of the stock motor and if you are then turning up the boost will just break your motor. I would say post your tune and get it to a dyno to see what kind of numbers you get so we have a solid place to start.

·
Registered
65 Posts
even just taking it to the dyno to know where your power is sitting would help. A relative "eh this feels slow to me what's wrong," butt dyno won't be able to solve anything. You may very well be at the safe limit of the stock motor and if you are then turning up the boost will just break your motor. I would say post your tune and get it to a dyno to see what kind of numbers you get so we have a solid place to start.
Lol true true

·
Registered
81 Posts
^^what he said

1 - 20 of 41 Posts