Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today, i decided to replace the brake pads on the front of the car and while i'm changing the brake pads, might as well change the drum brakes.

i'm running into an issue here. the cover on the drums (#4 in the pic below), wont come off. i tried using a hammer to loosen it and even tried tapping a screwdriver to pry it loose. I'm thinking maybe the brass cover (#3 in the pic below) has to come off before the cover (#4). I'm not sure... i need suggestions or feedback from someone who has already done this. I'm also thinking that it could have been welded shut by rust and whatnot. i don't even think the brake pads and drums were even changed when the car first rolled out of the factory.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Try turning the adjuster to take the brakes off the drum then beat the hell outta the drums. They will come off but will take some effort. Try some pb blaster on the dust cap in the center.

·
4 doors of fury!!!!
2,386 Posts
Try turning the adjuster to take the brakes off the drum then beat the hell outta the drums. They will come off but will take some effort. Try some pb blaster on the dust cap in the center.
agreed but the dust cap does not have to come off.

·
Registered
97 del slo
802 Posts
drums are always a bitch. some vehicles have a screw inside one of the holes which will push the drum out if you turn it. i'm not sure if hondas have that and i haven't changed my drums yet

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i've always wanted to convert the drums into regular slotted rotors like the front, but it's just too much money and time. im think im gonna buy a replacement drum cover and then beat the shit out of the old ones until it comes off.

there are also 2 holes. im pretty sure those holes are just for adjusting the shoes (#7 in the pic in my previous post) from a previous experience in changing the drums and brake pads from a toyota camry. they should be just about the same. just can't figure out why it's such a b*tch to get that drum cover off, when the toyota camry drum covers come off easy.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
drums are always a bitch. some vehicles have a screw inside one of the holes which will push the drum out if you turn it. i'm not sure if hondas have that and i haven't changed my drums yet
Honda have the two threaded holes for it but the screw is not included.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the covers do get stuck, especially if it's been a while since they've been apart. brute force rules!! alternate hitting the upper and lower portion of the cover with a dead blow hammer to rock it loose. don't be afraid.

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
there are also 2 holes. im pretty sure those holes are just for adjusting the shoes (#7 in the pic in my previous post) from a previous experience in changing the drums and brake pads from a toyota camry. they should be just about the same. just can't figure out why it's such a b*tch to get that drum cover off, when the toyota camry drum covers come off easy.

#7??,those are the shoes. try the e.b., and hammer first. you might be able to get some large flat head srewdriver's between the back plates (#5/6) and the drums. put them in flat and turn them like you were a screw to help pry them apart. ya might need to do this in several areas. you just dont want to damage the back plates and such. just dont damage the back plates. if its not coming off with ease, give it up.
Also some PB blaster around the #3 caps and the drums. -might be stuck here too.

Good luck and lets us know what worked for you.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
those two holes in the drum cover are for placing two screws or bolts into to force the drum itself (the cover) off from the shoes. i don't know the exact size cuz i did it when the motor was aparts but i used the bolts used to fasten the fuel rail to the block (the long ones with the threaded shank at the end). They were just long enough to pry it off.

Just tighten each side slowly and an equal amount. so turn 1 a 1/4 turn, stop and do the same to the other one. this is to prevent distortion or damage to the backing plate or the whole brake assembly.

I wish i had pictures or a how-to to illustrate the point. but i do not.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
on your Picture, The Drum (#4) has holes on it. you have to use some Threaded Bolts like Sr. Bone here says so the Drums can be Pressed out also using a mallet and Bang them out. You could Resurface Your Drums don't necessarily need to be Replaced but since you said it's been a Loong Time then yup, I think it's time for some new ones. Good Luck

·
Registered
EG9
123 Posts
From years of exp w/ VWs, you may need to beat on these pretty good. You shouldnt damage anything by doing this either.

I dread replacing my pads in my drums.. I just wish the ED4 Ex came with disks.. I just makes sense. Conversion is soon to come though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts