Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well I got the cometic gasket and arp head studs on my car. Managed to reassemble it the other night in a bout 45 minutes. Now I was putting the timing belt back on, and the TDC's were not lining up so I had to set it up, and then when I went to start the car it ran like ass. I think I need to use a timing gun to set it just right, but have never done this. Can someone please help me?

thanks.
J

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
nikon57 said:
Hey guys, well I got the cometic gasket and arp head studs on my car. Managed to reassemble it the other night in a bout 45 minutes. Now I was putting the timing belt back on, and the TDC's were not lining up so I had to set it up, and then when I went to start the car it ran like ass. I think I need to use a timing gun to set it just right, but have never done this. Can someone please help me?

thanks.
J

*Set it up??? what do you meen by set it up?
*As far as using the timing light just install a jumper on the harness underneath your glove box(the one with a green and brown wire only)<---EG civic
,start the car and let the fan come on a few times to ensure that you are at operating temp. Then hook your timing light to the #1 spark plug wire,shoot it down at the crank pulley and line the pointer up w/ the middle mark (red) farthest to the left on the pulley.

*As far as the timing belt goes just put the crank pulley at top dead center (white mark farthest to the right on the crank pulley). make sure your cam gear is set to top dead center(UP mark facing up and the side dashes should line up with the top of the head.I always use a straight edge or level to line it up.)then install the belt, it is very easy to install it one tooth off and yes it will run like a turd!LOL , did you follow the torque sequence when putting the head on?Intake mani. tightened correctly?Valve lash redone after pulling head?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
check your cam-2-crank timing...

Put the crank at TDC, check to see if the cam is lined up as per the service manual...

Normally it will run like ass if it a tooth or 2 off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
make sure that after you had it lined up you didnt ef it up when you tensioned it.when i did my mini i had to set it a little off so when i tensioned it lined up perfect.also check your ignition timing.good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts