Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Traveling by bus and rail...no driving allowed...after thoughts page 2

Having been 6 months now that I haven't been allowed to drive due to legal/insurance claim red tape, just how far can you go using public transit?

A bus trip to NYC and then onto CT via bus or rail, I will get to find out next week. While looking at other places to travel, I can get a one way ticket to Tacoma, WA from Cincy, OH for $119 on Greyhound. Yes, it would be a 2.5 day bus ride, but if I was to drive the gas alone in a 50 mpg CRX would be higher. Downside is limited travel radius along the way.

My one life goal was to visit all 48 contiguous states, even driving in them. I have most of the east covered. FL while I visited there, I wasn't old enough to drive.

So "what if" by Greyhound then if I can't drive for another 1.5 years?

Round trip tickets are not cheap, but by short stopping the routes you can find bargains, which would be offset by hotel room charges...or hooking up with DSO folks along the way.

You see this done in Europe and with "couch surfing" in the USA.

Any good/bad bus travel experiences here?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Geeze it cost that much for a 30 minute plane ride to another island for us. As for buses all we have are city buses. You can go around the island for a few bucks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went to college in Georgia and during summer/Xmas breaks I would ride the Greyhound back and forth to California. I think it was a 3ish day trip. I believe in 04 and a few years after I was paying 90 dollars 1 way with a 21 day advance ticket purchase. They had 21 day and 14 day discounts that were usually pretty good.

At the time I was 20 years old so didn't mind the trip it was all new to me. Pretty much read books, slept, looked out the window, (no smart phone back then). The bus would make quick stops here and there and usually in bigger cities would stop for an hour or so and I was able to get off and eat, the bigger stations had diners. The route that I would take only had 3 bus changes, in Atlanta, Dallas and Los Angeles, but sometimes I got dropped off in Atlanta and picked up in LA and vice versa. The rest of the time I was on the same bus.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
I live in South Florida, (waaay down south), and there was a guy at the Amtrak Train station buying a ticket to New York. I don't know about East and West travels or their rates but figured I'd mention it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd say keep ur bags light. I never put my stuff under the bus. Always heard stories of people's things being lost on transfers or getting stolen. I was able to stuff a full backpack under my seat. And there's overhead storage too.

Riding long distances is definitely an experience. I saw a drunk guy get kicked off somewhere in Texas, saw a lady get arrested in Birmingham, Al for stealing someone's ticket, and a saw a guy get busted for having a bag full of pot. He was in line to board the bus, saw the cops, left the bag in line and got on the bus. Cops stopped the bus arrested him. Bus kept on going.

Oh on a few occasion I've been on busses that broke down. Once in the middle of Arizona in the side of the highway. Had to wait 1 and a half hours for another bus to pick us up. The next stop was a transfer for me and was only an hour layover. I had to wait like 4 hours at the station for the next transfer. All in all an interesting experience.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
I had a friend get some high quality strange one time, hooked up with some chick (says she was really good looking, not confirmed) he was chatting with on the Greyhound...why he came home and told his girlfriend I will never understand, you could cut the hate in the air with a butterknife every time she was around after that lol....I digress

As for me, it's a slow boring way to travel and the closest I ever came to getting laid was being sat on by some random 500ish lb womans leg fat...like, she needed a whole bench to herself and I was like "I am not standing for the next 6 hours because she's fat" and she just flopped right down on/next to me....yeah, that happened.

Bring something to keep yourself entertained, psp, smartphone, books...something...but be on the lookout for a hottie that might be catching the rhythm of the road lol, she just might be willing to go halfsies on a room and fuck your brains out

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Tacoma!!!! :)

Would Very Much enjoy saying, "Hello" and shaking your hand.

Could keep you some company, and show you around.

As could other DSO'ers across the nation,

Craigslist works for short to medium distances.

So does your thumb

·
Premium Member
theft repo sol
356 Posts
I bet we could arrange a DSO transport service for you, meet another memeber halfway and this solves travel and bedding.
that is very do-able. ive been meeting DSO members on my travels all over the nation.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,014 Posts
I did grey hound once, from va to fl. 24hr ride with stop overs. if you get a decent clean bus and decent people its not bad. if you have a shitty bus, then its annoying. ipod/music or dvd's will make the time go by and make sure you get a decent window seat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why the hell do you want to go to Tacoma? Family or speedfactory is my only guess.

I could never ride a bus. Hell I started getting miserable on a 2.5 hour flight.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Smart phone with LiPo RC batteries to keep it charged. Load it up with music and videos to kill time. I plan on keeping to myself.

Just got a letter from the lawyer....I won't be driving anytime soon.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Goddam Bone! I mean, I would think the fines for drving a stolen car on a suspended license drunk on a high speed pursuit and crashing into city hall would be less than half that!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have applied for work at several places with in walking distance of home. But without a drivers license they won't hire anyone stating weather issues.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I have the same goal about driving through all 48 states, maybe even Alaska too. But personally I couldn't do Greyhound. Only have 12 states to go, 8 of which can be accomplished one a single-days drive (northern states). Did I hear right that places in Montana have no speed limits?

Wish you luck with your job search.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Well hommie hope the journey brings you some new found stories. I like bus rides for the times it brought me good and bad, rode all along the western sea board. I was a teenager so the seat time didnt bother me as mush, good luck.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.