Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 89 civic hatch with a zc and im not sure what transmission. it has R3D printed, not stamped, on the bell housing. i bought it off this guy this way so im not quite sure on some of the specifics.

ok so here's the story.

about 2 months ago:
i was busting a u-turn about a block away from my house (thank god). suddenly POP, grind grind grind. got out...looked. busted my outer cv joint on the drivers side. after 5 attempts i could not get a perfect match so i just had a local shop rebuild it. so i put it back in and it popped out of the trans in about 2 miles. took it to my work (a shop) put it on the rack and put the axle back in and it didn't seem like the clip was expanding enough to really hold onto the inside of the side gear. changed it out with an audi clip that was slightly bigger and it seemed to hold a bit better. only for a day. popped out again.

back in my garage (1 tow rope later):
long story short. the place that rebuilt my axle put the wrong inner joint on my axle. (i think). i ended up taking the known good axle out of the other side and comparing the two inner joints. THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. which may be my problem. further investigation revealed that the side gear on the driver's side is farther away from the casing of the transmission than the side gear on the passenger side. by approximately 4-5mm (guessing).

SOOOooooooo since my inner joints are exactly the same and the passenger side one goes in far enough to let the clip properly expand on the inner side of the side gear.......my rebuilt axles inner joint's shaft is to F-ing short!!

where can i find the proper joint? somebody please help. my car hasn't seen the light of day in 2 months. i miss it :(

in the attached pictures you can see that the gap between the side gears and the seal is about double on the driver's side. normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh and i tried putting the passenger side axle in the drivers side of the trans and it did not go in far enough to let the clip expand. WHICH re-affirms my thoughts that the drivers side inner joint's shaft is supposed to be slightly longer. go figure, what a pain in the ass.

sure hope someone knows what joint is supposed to go in the driver's side of this transmission!!!!

the side gears pre-load on these transmissions are adjusted with shims right? if they screwed in and out like some of the old school toyota's that would explain the 4 teeth on the outside of the side gears.........huh......someone help

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,533 Posts
pics of inner joints not loading, and you have confused me.

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
I'm pretty sure the driver side axle and passanger side axle are different.

driver side axle

buy a new one they are about $75. If you have a shop, put it in yourself. If you want things done right, do them yourself. thats my motto.

they make different axles for your model, 26 spline and 23 spline . figure out which one you have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts