Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I've been debating what i want to do for some time now and i'm about ready to just bite the bullet and buy a built one from synchrotech with carbon-lined synchros and MFactory LSD. Unfortunately this takes a lot of my budget up. I recently picked up a transmission off craigslist thinking it was on ex only to figure out it was a dx/lx. I plan on making 350-400whp, and just looking for opinions with what you guys would do. Obviously synchrotech is the best option. Just trying to find something a bit more budget friendly. I Know topics like this have been covered before, just want to see if there are any other options out there.
Edit: Car will be probably be tracked once or twice at local 1/8th mile strip.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,107 Posts
how much effort have you put into reading? theres like 5 posts within the last 6 months asking about "which trans"

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
I wouldn't use anything else other than S20/Z6 or S40/Y8 EX transmissions. A healthy D16z6 transmission will be your best bet if you can find one in good condition, and you'll know right away when the shift forks breaks. As far as D16y8, they're great transmissions as well, and I honestly think that it has shorter 3rd than the z6 based on my experience. I have however bent those shift forks and will slowly destroy the rest of the trans when that happens. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of option when it comes to shortening the gear ratios. You can either spend the money on ZC gears or buy the M-factory + shorter final drive which i didn't care so much about, or just the fact that i didn't want to spend that kind of money. You could easily spend 2G's with those parts and labor alone, not to mention the M-factory LSD. Go ahead and slap an EX trans if the budget is tight. Anyhow, I guess i feel like talking today :) HOwdy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well yeah i wasn't intending on building my non ex transmission. The labor and price of a built transmission from synchrotech truly isn't that bad. It's the extra amount on shipping. Also sucks because stock ex transmissions aren't readily available where i'm at. Probably just call up dave at synchrotech

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
What is your location? Aquafina is in Eastern, TN which might help with shipping costs, also a forum sponsor. Check out his subforum, Whoopdee Doo Racing.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
He's by me Central, Ilinois

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
The best option is me, Whoopee Doo Racing, I've built more transmissions for high powered D series than anyone else that I'm aware of, and know what works and what doesn't. If you're having budget issues, I even offer a payment plan.

jvtec, Z6 and Y8 have the same 3rd gear, exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
The best option is me, Whoopee Doo Racing, I've built more transmissions for high powered D series than anyone else that I'm aware of, and know what works and what doesn't. If you're having budget issues, I even offer a payment plan.

jvtec, Z6 and Y8 have the same 3rd gear, exactly the same.
I know. I'm having a dejavu with the y8 probably

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts