Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX (d16y7). When I let off my clutch in neutral, the transmission gets really loud, but then when I step on it, it's quiet. What the heck is that? Today, I bought a y8 tranny, hopefully replacing it with the new one will take care of the noise. Am I right? Help me out folks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transzex said:
ISB

Input Shaft Bearing

$35 in parts, $100 including parts + gas to/fro Cbus for me to fix it.
sounds like one hell of deal. like i said though, i just bought my y8 tranny today, so if i swap trannys, wouldn't the noise go away or is the isb a completely different thing?

Richie_A_19 said:
hell yes it is... Bone is the man! lol

BTW, welcome to the site... Where in Columbus?
thanks. eastside of columbus. whitehall/reynoldsburg area.

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
slprcivic said:
sounds like one hell of deal. like i said though, i just bought my y8 tranny today, so if i swap trannys, wouldn't the noise go away or is the isb a completely different thing?
unless you change the isb while the tranny is out, then you would be in the same boat and out the labor of changing a tranny.....!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so the isb is in the tranny. it's not something most people would take off right? the guy i bought the tranny from said it had 73k on it and is in excellent condition, so most likely, if i swap trannys, the isb would be replaced as well, right?

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
The ISB is the Input Shaft Bearing... It is the bearing that the input shaft rides on, therefore it wouldn't get changed unless you break the tranny open. If the tranny is out anyways, I honestly would 1)change all the bearings in it before you put it in, or 2)have Bone come up here and do it for you... That way you KNOW the internals are good so you don't have any problems later. I would be willing to bet Bone would even install the Y8 tranny for you. ;)

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
i just realized i left some words out of my post...lol
yes the input shaftbearing is in the crank/flywheel if you dont change it no matter what tranny it will keep doing it....!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Pull half the front end of your car apart, put a BUNCH of stuff on jacks, pull the axles, pull the tranny, split the thing, pull out the final drive/ both shafts/ shift forks, drive old ISB out from the clutch housing, replace the seal, put in new ISB, put new washers on mainshaft, put on liquid gasket/hondabond, install everything in proper order INCLUDING that blasted interlock guide bolt, put everything back in car.

^^^that's why its a good deal, unless you find a torn motor mount and a bad lower ball joint like me.

And its much cheaper than having the thing explode on you. I should be able to tell how bad that is when my noisy bearing in 5th finally blows, whichever one it is. Had it apart twice, replaced three bad bearings so far, still noisy as heck...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, correct me if i'm wrong..... if i replace my Y7 tranny with the new Y8 tranny assuming that it is in good condition, my car will still have the same isb problem?

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
slprcivic said:
ok, correct me if i'm wrong..... if i replace my Y7 tranny with the new Y8 tranny assuming that it is in good condition, my car will still have the same isb problem?
if you do this you will have a noisy, faster accelerating car

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Low EG-T said:
if you do this you will have a noisy, faster accelerating car
haha. alright, i got it now.
so i got a question for tranzex; how much would you want to install the y8 tranny, isb, clutch and flywheel for? i would already have the tranny, clutch and flywheel. i would need you to get the isb and other necessary parts. oh yeah, how much price difference from me going there and you coming here.

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
slprcivic said:
haha. alright, i got it now.
how much price difference from me going there and you coming here.
go to him he has the knowledge, tools and resources there.....you on the other hand ....have problems....lol j/k'n

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh yeah, one more thing. out of curiosity, how does the isb go bad? and is it something i should really worry about right now? haha, can something blow up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
"oh yeah, one more thing. out of curiosity, how does the isb go bad? and is it something i should really worry about right now? haha, can something blow up?"

+1

I don't want to do this every 10K..

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
It is a bearing.... they go bad.... No real reason that it happens sometimes... It is like an altenator... Yours can last 250,000 miles, or 40,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts