Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive searched about the whining/ticking noise and most of them come to say that its low on fluids BUT in my case, it isnt. So here it goes.

Im sure most of you guys would recognize the sound of how your car sounds in reverse am i correct? The whining noise.

- For those that might go ahead and say, check the fluid lvls or do a flush. The fluid levels are correct and has been flushed several times and the whining noise still persists.
- Also, New OEM throw out bearing [ clutch release bearing ] and new pilot bearing

Symptoms :
- Whining noise can be heard while going forward and while in gear only.
- Noise goes away if I were to press down the clutch and coast [ still in gear ] BUT once I let off the clutch, noise returns.
- Noise can only be heard once in gear so if I am at a stop and is in neutral, no noise.

Oh. This example of how the noise sounds like is .....Have any of you seen the TV show The Price Is Right?
When at the end the people have to spin a HUGE ass wheel and see who lands on the highest number? Yeah sounds exactly like that but not as loud but still noticeable.

Any ideas? Input?

Thanks in advance
- Sammo

Ninja Edit:

Found some info that it can be the support bearings from either the main or countershaft went out. Possible? Can anyone confirm?

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it was the countershaft bearing. Which bearing would it be?

If it was the mainshaft bearing. Which bearing would it be?

I would love to try and get this fixed before the big Cali DSO meet. If not...its either I cant make it or Imma hitch a ride with someone.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Would #14, #9 Be the same? Just wanting to confirm even though I believe they are the same haha.
This trans came out of a 95 Si

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im Having the same problem you are. Stock trans in a 96 ex. Ive been driving like this for a few weeks now, but only to and from work.
Yeah man. that's what I have been doing. This is my DD but I try my best to only drive it when needed. Sucks that im moving this entire week so driving my hatch like it was a pick up truck cause my wifes car is a bitch. Stupid G35...good for nothing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Im in San Jose as well, We should look for a buy one trans get one free deal, haha. I wonder if this causes other problems? Might not be as easy as just getting a new IS bearing... What ya say Bone?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,422 Posts
different pics, but same parts.

ONLY one way to get me to Cali, Nemo CRX that I get to drive.

If not for local contract I'd be willing to tour the "wrong coast"......

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
D-series trannies are notorius for ISB. I think I have replaced 3 or 4 to date in the different trannies I have. Every time with OEM bearings and seals but they always get bad.

·
Registered
Civic
36 Posts
who installed the new release bearing and pilot bearing? Its possible that your clutch pedal free play is non-exsistant and your release bearing has prematurely worn out. have u checked free play? should be about a half inch

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
who installed the new release bearing and pilot bearing? Its possible that your clutch pedal free play is non-exsistant and your release bearing has prematurely worn out. have u checked free play? should be about a half inch
A member on here installed the bearings for me and I trust his knowledge on inspecting/installing of things.

Oh and not to question you or anything bones but do you think that it might be the "synchro hub bearing" instead? Because this is how I described my issue on another forum and thats what a few has mentioned.

==As long as the clutch is engaged while in any number of gear, it makes that noise.
Once I disengage the clutch[clutch pedal down] and or held down, moving or at a stop, there is no noise.
If I were to put the transmission in neutral, moving or stopped and pedal engaged or disengaged no noise.

SO. like ive tried to explain. The noise only happens while im actually driving which means, I would be in 1st with the clutch engaged [ Pedal would be up ] the noise proceeds.==

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
The ISB only spins when your in gear, and the cluth is let out. When you push the clutch in Sammo, the ISB doesnt move because the gears inside the tranny arent moving/spinning.

I had the issue w/my old tranny in my EK sedan. The second I let off the clutch, it made a horrible knocking/helicopter sound. If I pushed the clutch in, it went away. i opened up the tranny, and all the little ball-bearings from the ISB fell everywhere.

Its caused from engine braking.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crap, I honestly hope that the issue is just this single bearing and nothing else. I hope the local shop wont charge me much to replace this.

Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
^
3,347 Posts
Crap, I honestly hope that the issue is just this single bearing and nothing else. I hope the local shop wont charge me much to replace this.

Thanks again fellas.
Where do you plan taking it? I think you are better off replacing it yourself. A local shop would probably charge close to $300.

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
You dont need a press. If the bearing isnt siezed into the casing, it should come right out.

Ive pulled a few trannys apart, to find the outter bearing race siezed to the clutch housing of the tranny. Those housings got junked...

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AHH okay. Well I found a DIY on how to replace the ISB. Thanks alot fellllllas. Now I shall gather up my balls and head towards doing all this myself hahaha. Kinda nervous cause this is my only trans and this car is my DD >_< Wife is not gonna be happy hahaha.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts