Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting Idea, not sure as to how it would work, but what if you could shave your entire center column of your shifter and replace it with 2 paddle switches behind your steering wheel, I had an Idea of how to do it. Assuming that (and I honestly have no Idea how it works) Automatic transmissions are controlled by the ecu, could you hijack the signal needed to make it shift up and down and reroute that signal through those 2 switches. If this isn't the case does anyone have any Ideas of how to get this too work?

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
Dont know, and there would be a tranny safety issue there....you could bump the downshift button while going 70mph, and blow your motor in an instant, or your tranny...

edit: i've blown 3 auto trannies in civics....i know.

·
Registered
879 Posts
it would probably be a lot more complicated than you are describing. ferarri's come with a paddle shift technology like you are talking about though, i believe. probably not worth all of the work to do it to a civic.

·
Registered
879 Posts
W1ccaboy said:
Yeah thats where I got the idea, does anyone know how they do it?
with a very expensive transmission, lol. definitely not something you're going to be able to do in your backyard with some speaker wire and a couple switches.

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
maby it can be done w/ the squential shifter on the newer cars audi, mitsu,- its like an auto tranny so liek hook up the sensor relays on the + and - to some diy paddles behind the steering wheel and wala! presto chango u's gots shifter padels
but it will probly be still slow shifting like when it was still stock

but im sure theres more to it than that + also much more fabrication for this stuff
but yea ideas and such~so like dream on

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
f00ker said:
Dont know, and there would be a tranny safety issue there....you could bump the downshift button while going 70mph, and blow your motor in an instant, or your tranny...

edit: i've blown 3 auto trannies in civics....i know.
how did u blow 3??? damn..... neutral bombs?? lol I dunno...

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
MyblkVTEC said:
how did u blow 3??? damn..... neutral bombs?? lol I dunno...
high miles, a few n-bombs here and there...

it was actually 2, since my last one, I sold to DOG, and its been fine for him

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
i would say that mista bone might know something about this...??

but my $.02 would be to check a helms or go to honda for a wiring diagram, and splice into the wires to make switches.. i dont know too much about auto trannies but i do know thing or two about wiring!

·
0 Posts
W1ccaboy said:
Yeah thats where I got the idea, does anyone know how they do it?
The trans is a piece that costs like $20,000 alone. It is a fully functional 6 speed manual that uses computerized mechanics to control shifting. It not only controls the gears but the throttle and clutch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can't do it on a honda tranny since the floor shifter is actually moving a cable which is moving an arm on the tranny in order to change gears. The wiring to the shifter is only for the lights on the dash and the ignition lock solenoid and the reverse lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts