Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm in the process of preparing for a transmission build. I currently have a '93 del Sol with an S40B000 5-speed and Quaife LSD, all stock gears.

I've recently received an MFactory 0.565 3rd and I'm awaiting the 0.848 5th gear I just purchased.

My intention is to move stock 3rd to 4th. I'm actively looking for local shops that can do the service for me as I have neither the time nor the technical expertise to take apart and rebuild a transmission. I'll happily pay an expert for the service.

I want to make sure I understand what modifications to the stock 3rd gear are required to put in place of 4th. If I know, then I can be sure that the shop I go to knows what they are doing.

Transmission experts, please help educate me on the ways of d-series transmission modification, specifically what must be done to turn stock 3rd into 4th.

I'll continue researching in the meantime.

Thank you!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
You should just send it out to Whoopee Doo and know its done right.
shhhh don't use logic, especially to support another member

*insert sarcasm font above*

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take 1mm off the collar on the OEM countershaft 3rd gear.
As always, thanks for the education.

You should just send it out to Whoopee Doo and know its done right.
shhhh don't use logic, especially to support another member

*insert sarcasm font above*
Hey gents.

I'd love nothing more than to bring my business to a member of this forum, and one who is clearly exceptional at what they do. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere close to Johnson City, TN. But I'm sure it would make for a lovely 11 hour and 38 minute drive. And well.... The current exchange rate is the sh!ttiest it's been for quite a while. The Canadian peso isn't what it used to be...

I'm fortunate to live where there are plenty of skilled technicians who can handle this specific service. Thanks to another member of DSO, I've found a local shop for just this purpose.

I'm more than happy to increase rep for Aquafina and recommend his services.

Keep an eye out for upcoming posts concerning the progress! I'm looking at late March, early April as the time to get the work done.

Thanks!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
There is a Honda engine builder in Toronto that could handle it, forget his name though, might have retired even.

Short drive across the 401 westward towards London and Jamie could handle the machining.

Just about anyone with a small lathe can handle it....

·
Registered
889 Posts
There is a Honda engine builder in Toronto that could handle it, forget his name though, might have retired even.

Short drive across the 401 westward towards London and Jamie could handle the machining.

engine builder is probably Gord Bush :)

I set Jim up with a Transmission builder friend of mine that is in the area who has built a ton of D-series transmissions along with a number of custom stuff inside those transmissions for us circle track racers!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Thanks for the pic Bone!

engine builder is probably Gord Bush :)

I set Jim up with a Transmission builder friend of mine that is in the area who has built a ton of D-series transmissions along with a number of custom stuff inside those transmissions for us circle track racers!
Thanks Kyle!!

You've been an INCREDIBLE help.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was talking about shipping it to him. It cost me about $90 to ship a trans to Cali a few years ago, one way from pa. But I'd you found someone local than do that!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Used a welding glove, a HF Micrometer, and a table sander.

No Shit, Worked Great. Even to <0.01mm

Good enough for me on a splined shaft.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
shakes head....

Find a cheap lathe....

I knew you two would love to hear about that. :)

After going to 4 shops who all pussed out, it had to get done somewhere!

"I cant mount that securely"

"That's case hardened steel"

"No"

"We don't do anything like that here, dont know where to suggest"

It was time to flex the D-series Spirit and solve it with some DIY.

Make sure to rotate it on the abrasive surface and watch the heat. :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
It takes longer to chuck it up in a three jaw lathe than to do the cutting, under 10 minutes total time needed. Didn't even need ti change the tooling that was used to cut open torque convertors or the hubs on Miata wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts