Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have checked through a lot of different forums and my eyes are starting to hurt. Need a new trans for my 91 CRXSi and want something with a better final drive. Found a 91 Civic DX trans. Would this fit or am I going to run into a problem with the splines? Would it be an easy swap or more parts to get for it?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
You can use any of the cable trans but what do you consider a better final drive, the Si cable trans is pretty well geared from factory.

The only things that you can run into when swapping a different cable tranny into your car will be the input shaft splines on the 88 were different but you can just replace the clutch disc if this happens. Also the DOHC ZC trans would be the only trans that would require different axles.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I have read is that the Si trans has a 4.25 final drive and the dx has a 3.88. That's what I want. not looking to race or anything like that just want something a little more comfortable on the road. I will be rebuilding the Si trans once out though and keeping it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have read the HF would be the best for final drive. At 60 mph that would put the Rpms at 2272 compared to the Si which is 3632 and Dx at 3323.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
only reason for the DX FD is because of engine/exhaust drone noise.

In that case DX with stock .771 5th or Si with 92-00 .702 5th.

Close ratio ZC and got 48 mpg, so it isn't about getting better gas mileage.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
dreaded 3500-3600 rpm drone with 4.25/.771, but it is the "better/more fun" 65-70 mph gear if you have to pass someone, like a truck governed at 67 mph and everyone else is doing 75+ mph.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah don't get me wrong I love the trans. But it needs rebuilt and this is my daily so I would like to just drop the one I found to hold me over for the winter!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts