Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched across this forum and others as well but can't seem to find an answer. I just replaced the axles on my D16Z6 trans and did the seals too while I had them out. Refilled with Honda MTF, 1.9 quarts as per manual. Drives great, only problem is that it leaks a little fluid when the car is parked. Took it to a local mechanic and he said I put too much fluid in and the excess is being forced out through the seals. He told me to drive it around until it stops. Here is what I have come up with...

The car had over 278,000 miles on it when I changed the transmission fluid, and the Honda MTF is some "advanced" formula, so could this cause a leak, kind of like putting synthetic motor oil in a high mileage engine?

What do you guys think? Yeah I'm a noob, but I've been reading the forums for years and I'm stumped on this...

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I've searched across this forum and others as well but can't seem to find an answer. I just replaced the axles on my D16Z6 trans and did the seals too while I had them out. Refilled with Honda MTF, 1.9 quarts as per manual. Drives great, only problem is that it leaks a little fluid when the car is parked. Took it to a local mechanic and he said I put too much fluid in and the excess is being forced out through the seals. He told me to drive it around until it stops. Here is what I have come up with...

The car had over 278,000 miles on it when I changed the transmission fluid, and the Honda MTF is some "advanced" formula, so could this cause a leak, kind of like putting synthetic motor oil in a high mileage engine?

What do you guys think? Yeah I'm a noob, but I've been reading the forums for years and I'm stumped on this...
did u change your rear main seal?

because my leak a little too when i park.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
installed the seals wrong?????

Why did you change to a different fluid????

Tranny calls for 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seals went in easy. I didn't change my fluid, I used what Honda recommends and what most of the honda crowd swears by which is Honda Genuine MTF. I figured if I screwed the seals up then my car would be leaking tranny fluid as I drive, but now it only leaks a few drops when I'm parked, so I'm beginning to think I over-filled it or this new fluid just expands a lot more than the old crap fluid I had in it... The car drives like it's brand new, thats what gets me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
installed the seals wrong?????

Why did you change to a different fluid????

Tranny calls for 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil.
Now that I think about, my manual did say something about using motor oil like you're saying, but is this much different from Honda MTF? The car is a '94 Civic EX, so would putting Honda MTF instead of motor oil screw it up? Sorry if I'm making this confusing...

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
No it will be fine. Honda actually redesigned the new transmission fluid for the newer transmissions.
the new mtf is not for us, well they say it is, but it seems to be bootsy. they had problems with k20 trans and redid it to make them better. we like 10w30/40 motor oil.
some of the trans problems can occur when the surfaces are TOO slick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts