Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright... maybe this is an odd and somewhat unconventional question... but uhh...
ok im trying to gather money for my 5speed swap- figured while im building a new block might as well build a tranny too...

im looking for something that'll have decent pickup in first and second- but not a whole lot, cause uhh, sitting there slipping is no fun-
and i want 3rd 4th and 5th to be for highway racing... with as high as possible of top speed in 5th...

so uhh- the tranny im lookin to buy is a CX trans, with Si final drive (4.25)
i've been searchin around... would the 0.702 fifth gear in the CX trans be the best for top speed? or is there anything better?

any help is highly appreciated-

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
the HX might have a better gearing ratio for what you are looking for...

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
^^to be quick yes...but kirby is looking for top end speed, not so much the quickness

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
if you want some top speed I love my y8 tranny..
great long final gear

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
i was thinking like rotory...cus i know with b series trannys, the vtec tranncys are yes shorter for quickness, but their 5th and final is a lot longer for higher top speed...so i deduced this was the same with vtec d series trannys

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
a stock 92-95 Si will be perfect, 4.25 FD and .750 5th..........

Good for 150 mph......

But unless you spend a good $1200 into the suspension your gonna wreck the car.

Then well talk about tires.......

Haven't even got to who your gonna list on your death clause..........I mean your insurance policy.........

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Can I have your turbo stuff when you die?

·
Hondaphile
see above
1,113 Posts
Well providing it's not a shitty road, mine is pretty stable above 80, hell I've had it up to 120 or so for about an hour and never had a problem....but Bone, is there a significant gearing difference between the 92-95 si and 92-95 ex trannys?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
yes, I listed it above.

But at 120mph a bridge gap will ruin your day...........

Ever had your car jump a lane at 120+ mph because the suspension bottomed out?????

You lift, steer, or brake, your gonna die or wish you had!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lolol- dont worry guys, though i wanna do the swap (and probably am going to) i dont plan on taking it anywhere past 100 for a while- not untill i get some nice adjustable shocks, coilovers, polyurethane bushings for everything, do a bit of reinforcement to the chassis, and get some nice new tires...

in other words, i just want the capable tranny for now, wont even try it till the rest is up to par,
my chassis and suspension have 150k miles on them... and i had that thing up to 115mph before, when it was N/A- and every little tiny bump scared the shit out of me... lol- fun as hell though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts