Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 94 EX Coupe with a D15B swap. The engine has low milage, but there is an annoying rattle whenever you're in gear and 3rd grinds. The guy I bought it from was a complete moron. The driver's side motor mount was cut, about 2/3 of it was missing, to make the motor fit (I don't know why he didn't just get the right mount) and the passenger side mount wasn't even hand tight. I have done a search, and I guess what I'm looking at is probably input shaft bearing and synchro. The real question is: Do I rebuild this one? OR Do I buy a new one with low miles/no grinding/no bearing problems? What would the cost be like to rebuild vs. new? How do you rebuild? Is it a big job? I guess I'm directing most of the questions toward Tranzex, but any insight would be appreciated.

1st post, YEAH!

Sean

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
i would take the tranny out and see how damaged the tranny is internally, if all seems welll, then repair the synchro and input bearings, refill with new tranny fluid, and off you go...

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
the grinding is probably from your engine wobbling too much in the engine bay with your mounts they way they are.... get new mounts soon!

as for the bearing, I replaced the bearings in my transmission but I had a spare tranny to run while I did it. If this is your first time, I'd expect the transmission to be out for at least a day or two while you figure out how to take it apart (and put it back together). It's not hard, but you have to be careful putting it back together.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a list of tools that will be required to do this? And is there anywhere in particular that you would recommend getting them? Also, is there a book that you might recommend for reference? I thought that there might be a DIY for something like this. Maybe it's already spelled out in a repair manual or something.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I paid my friends neighbor(zen master 30+ year tranny rebuilder) to walk me through dissasembly and re-assembley, it's not that bad, but theres a certain order that everything goes in and out, get it wrong and it can be a real pain. My next one I take apart I'll try to do DIY post.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
that book is not good enough for a tranny rebuild...

do a google search for "Helms pdf civic" that should pull up the manual you need.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just wondering if it is possible that the flywheel interferes with the bellhousing or something and causes a sort of whirring/scratching/grinding noise. The reason why I ask is that it doesn't make noise in 4th and 5th, and it only makes noise after a certain RPM in 1st. Just a thought. Maybe I won't have to pop open the case just yet. Thanks for the advice so far guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts