Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my ex tranny in with a my quaife and there is a little bit of whining in it. Only when I let off of the gas, when I am on the gas the littlest bit it goes away.

Is this normal for a Quaife? I don't remember it doing it before, although it did brake before.

O

·
0 Posts
did you properly fill the trany with either honda manual trans fliud or pensoil 5w-30? is not you could be damaging it.

I

·
0 Posts
is this a different tranny?

usually a "whine" is the input shaft bearing... did you check it out or possibly replace it while the tranny was dropped?

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car is forced induction! Thats how...

I replaced the input shaft bearing when I swapped the trannys.

I used the fluid that the book calls for, should I try honda manual tranny fluid.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Or the royal purple Manual tranny fluid too...

O

·
0 Posts
No nothign else shoudl EVER be used ina honda trany, especially synthetic fluid. the honda syncors will not operate properly and cuase issues and later wear out prematurely. use only Honda manual trany fluid ot "penziol" 3w-30 in very hot places liek desert cliements in summer you can sue 10w30, but nothing else. Turst me on this, I've researched with about 4 different soruces including 2 master honda mechs, they all say the same thing.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
oscarmayer said:
No nothign else shoudl EVER be used ina honda trany, especially synthetic fluid. the honda syncors will not operate properly and cuase issues and later wear out prematurely. use only Honda manual trany fluid ot "penziol" 3w-30 in very hot places liek desert cliements in summer you can sue 10w30, but nothing else. Turst me on this, I've researched with about 4 different soruces including 2 master honda mechs, they all say the same thing.
thats odd...I have a used tranny with 130k miles on it that was shipped full of WATER!! Original syncros still. I replaced all the bearings, shift forks, slapped in a Quaife and have been using GM Syncromesh for the last 50k miles. Go figure its still holding.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
Bizzar said:
thats odd...I have a used tranny with 130k miles on it that was shipped full of WATER!! Original syncros still. I replaced all the bearings, shift forks, slapped in a Quaife and have been using GM Syncromesh for the last 50k miles. Go figure its still holding.
Oddly enough so have I with no problems. Along with many many many many others.

Listen to Oscar, he is right! LOL

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
i used a synthetic valvoline blend for a while.. and i thought that my tranny was going bad because it would grind when i downshifted.. but sure enough, i was told to use honda tranny oil, and when i swapped the lubes out.. no grinds at all! i definately recommend honda oil only!!! my tranny will occasionally whine.. but the way i look at it is.. the motor revs.. and so does the tranny (sort of)... why would it be bad if the both made noises? although it could be the limited slip decel?

C

·
0 Posts
oscarmayer said:
I've sourced this out myself as I am a tech, and have been in service and parts for a while too. I HAD to know these things for warranty claim purposes. (by the way, being in the Auto Repair business, most techs, even master, know about repairing the cars, but they don't source out the fluids, the parts or the service guys do) therefore "Honda Manual" tranny fluid is basically a standard 10w30 with a friction modifier. Honda does not produce oil and it is sourced from elsewhere (VAlvoline,Penzoil to name a few) In fact, in a lot of cases, most Honda service centers WILL use standard 10w30 and insert an aftermarker (thats right, after market. I'm talking, BG or Versel, etc,.) friction modifier.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts