Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 2000 civic ex with a S20 transmission, and while i was driving on the high way, i shifted to third, and it was a little more difficult than usual. I thought about it for a minute, then i tried to shift to 3rd again from 5th gear going around 70 or so, and i hear a grind, and then the gear goes all the way in. the gear works fine, and it doesnt happen during lower speeds, just during higher speeds. I was wondering what would cause this, and any possible fixes for it.

I've got to drive 1500 miles over this next weekend, so a solution would be very nice.

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,170 Posts
transzex said:
quit guessing and quit blaming the synchros.

Worn or broken 3-4 shifter fork.......
:werd: ^^^^^^

Ever since I read the whole Transmission alley section on D-Series I have now come to believe that Shift forks are the #1 problem with transmissions, aside from imput shaft bearings =)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
yep.........

#3 is countershaft clutch side bearing walking out.......note the rub marks from the ring gear......

tapped back in.......

fixed.......

BTW that tranny, with Quaife LSD, finished 3rd at Topeka Solo Nats in E Prep :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are you sure its the shift fork, i would guess it would be repetitive if it was the fork damaged, but once i shift into third from say 5th at high speed, it grinds once, if i pull it back out, and put it back in, it doesnt grind at all. gear engages every time, if its something simple to fix in the tranny, a sorta walkthrough would be nice, im not too much of a tranny guy, but if its simple, i think i can manage.

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,170 Posts
if thats the case I still think forks... the best way is to crack it open and have a look! make sure u measure the forks to see what they read... a visual might not be enough =)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, i have to replace the clutch anyways, so taking it off is not a problem, but are there some resources for doing this, ive never taken one apart before, but im pretty sure its within my scope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts