Honda D Series Forum banner

Tranny noob-- need help swapping the differential

896 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  hatchkid96 
#1 ·
Heres my dilema, Ive got 4 89-91 si trannys laying on my garage floor. Now one of the them has good gears/synchros and a busted differential. Another one has bad gears and a good differential. Basically I want to make one working tranny out of two of em. Now, I dont have a clue in hell how to even begin taking this apart and there isnt a tranny shop within 70 miles of me that will touch for less than $300.

Sooo, which one of you esteemed tranny guru's feels like helpin a brother out or maybe suggesting a more rational price cuz I dont see how this could be hard except I dont know anything about how these go together.

#4 ·
It really shouldn't be that hard, especially if you have the service manual. Take the cases apart per the instructions, once inside the 2 shafts lift out together so that is pretty easy. Then simply remove the diff, put it in the other tranny that you have taken apart the same way and follow the instructions in the service manual for the clearance on the diff bearings. Once that is done, put the 2 shafts back in simultaneously and finish reassembly. Again, this is pretty simplified but if you just follow the instructions it should be rather simple, you don't need a lot of special tools either: some sockets, snap ring pliers, some allen wrenches and feeler gauges should pretty much cover it. And don't forget the sealant!

#11 ·
soo ive been lookin at these two trannies and it seems like as long as im careful enough to keep the mainshaft gears all in one assembly and dont take the lock nut off the other set of gears then ill be fine right? basically i just pull out the busted diff and drop in the new one correct?

After doing some reading of the helms and looking at the tranny itself, it doesnt really look all that difficult.

Now once I get this all back together how can I be sure its going to work, how do I test the gears to see if they are going to engage properly?

I really appreciate the positive input Ive gotten on this subject you guys kick ass!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.