Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was abusing the car in a few turns having some fun before autocross starts this year, got hungary and decided to go get something to eat.

While I was creeping around a parking lot after driving the car for 5-10min after the abuse session, I herd this pop :noway: . Decided to park the car, as I did, I shifted back to first, released theclutch, and BANG, car just dies, but coast into the parking spot. So i restart the car, leaving it in first, try and take off, it just dies as i release the clutch, like your trying to take off in 5th, but not moving anywhere. I try to change gears, but i cant get the shifter to budge. The car rolls freely. Ive got another Si tranny sitting in the garage, but what do you think happend to the one in there now?

I was having problems with my speedo cable, the orginal one had broken a few months ago, and i just got around to finding a replacment last week. I tried to put it in but it was too long, so i took it back out, and tried to just stick the casing back on. Is the fluid pumped trough that casing? I knowticed a leak after parking it, and it was the MTF. I wonder if it spilled out and welded up some gears?

When i pull out the tranny next week ill see if i cant find out where it leaked, and possibly take off the casing to see if something else broke.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
inside of tranny is toast, broken diff pin.

By speaking of speedo cable problems I have to assume you have a 88-91 Civic/CRX.

Common on autox cars for the pin to fail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is it so common for the pin to fail? Is there a different way I can drive the tranny to help it from failing? Ive auto X before, and plan on doing it again this year.

Thanks Tranny Guru!

I just got another SI tranny plus alot of extra stuff, wow i love these D motors and parts, they are sooo easy to find. Other owners are always going for the Magazine worshiped B swaps, and they are always unloading their sought after Si/Ex parts.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
88-91 D trannys and B16 trannys don;t have a hardened diff pin, the spider gears wear thru the pin.

KABOOM!!!!

Honda's replacement pin includes a "gold" diff pin. I have a ZC diff sitting at home with the replacement pin.

·
Registered
741 Posts
transzex said:
88-91 D trannys and B16 trannys don;t have a hardened diff pin, the spider gears wear thru the pin.

KABOOM!!!!

Honda's replacement pin includes a "gold" diff pin. I have a ZC diff sitting at home with the replacement pin.

True! That happened to the previous owners of my car, that's why I got it for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW i dont think mine is leaking that bad, and i didnt have any parts fall out yet. Its supost to warm up this week, but now i think im getting sic. I should still beable to get them swaped out, but currently im working on an A6 head, have the Y8 HG, and MPFI set up that might make its way on there at the same time. Motor mounts are drying with the new poly inserts/window weld combo. Shift stabilizer is on the way, along with some Eibac Pro springs. LOL this should be a pretty fun 4dr when im done with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts