Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a D15B 5-spd tranny from VTi. I imagine it weighs the same as a P20 B000 from 92-95 Si/Ex, but I have no good guess as to how much those things weigh. 80-100lbs? Less? I don't know if it's safe to transport in the trunk of my civic. Thanks.

Stiff susp; only 1-1/2" drop; 30mins drive.

Reactions: DirtyDC4

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
They have to bee lees than a complete Z6 and I had no problem hauling that 3 hours across the state.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
i drove around with an ep (k20) 5speed in the trunk of my accord for several weeks. my buddy made me take a truck to go pick it up and when we got there, it was so damn small i could have put it in the front of the truck with me. i also dont think you will have any problems.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
Seven trannys in my HB......not a problem.

no back seat, but only took three trips to move them all to storage.

They are about 68 lbs a piece and my car is lowered, no issues.

matter of fact, I prefer to have a tranny or two in the back, car rides better.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts

nice

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thx for exact weight.

I noticed a lot better handling in turns on my EK sedan when I bolted a sub to the floor of my stipped out trunk. I also read about a NOS D16 project car where they kept the spare in the back for better weight distribution...gave me the idea. =D

Here's a picture of the trans:
http://www.jrautoparts.com/images/trans/d15b_trans (Large).JPG

Look like a D15B tranny? Would you buy it? lol. My drive-train experience goes about as far as installing a short-shift kit and new shifter bushings, replacing motor-mounts if that counts. I'm a mole above ground. =\

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
D15Z1 = RUNAWAY!

That would be the shittest 92-95 tranny you could buy.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Think about it this way. tranny weighs 68 pounds. a person weighs 150 +/- 50 pounds. You car seats 4 people. (5 belts, but they get scary with 5 guys in a car)
so 68 pounds is like having half your friend in the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D15Z1 = RUNAWAY!

That would be the shittest 92-95 tranny you could buy.
LOL...I was thinking about that...and then it clicked when I was in bed last night...SHIT. Z1=VX. Tried to delete post before anybody found out I asked that one... :hammer:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had 2 d16 in the back of my hatch. Stock suspension. Looked like I had a sumo wrestler hiding in the back!

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
that tranny is sweet. i have a cx so it is the same tranny. gears are stupid long. stupid 3.27fd.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, new (Si/VTi) tranny has been in for a week and a few days. :TU: Cruising speeds have dropped to 70mph, as I'm at 3k rpms there, but hey, I can drive around in 5th gear @ 45mph. lol. I got brave after the tranny and picked up the b7 engine and put that in there too! lol. Sold both this week. Thx for the infos//help.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
whats wrong with cruising above 3K rpm? Their meant to be at 3500 when your at like 80. GSR's are at 4100 stock at 80. My new gearing will be at about 4100-4200 at 80. No need to alter your driving habits. You engine won't explode if you cruise at 3300-3500 rpm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts