Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, my tranny likes to grind when going into reverse, but it won't do it all the time or in any other gear. I have the car completely stopped, my foot is pressing the clutch all the way down, and the clutch fluid reservoir is full. What do you guys think the problem is?

The tranny is hydro and its in a EJ1 Coupe.
Also the slave cylinder is new. And system is bled.

Also (separate problem), I fill up the clutch fluid reservoir once every 2 weeks, and I seem to be getting clutch fluid on the drivers side...I'm guessing that my clutch master cylinder is bad? :?:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes, you are correct sir! You need to replace your master clutch cylinder. Also replace the slave while you are at it.

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
Probably due to the master cyl. being bad.... since you have a slight leak, your clutch isn't disengaugeing fully.

I

·
0 Posts
My CMC is bad too. I'm thinking about getting that OmniPower one. Anyone have this yet?

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
A friend of mine found the trick to avoiding the "grind". Start the car. Shift to neutral. Release clutch. Depress clutch. With clutch depressed, Shift to first. Still with clutch in, Shift QUICKLY to reverse. Also, make sure to avoid rolling when shifting into reverse, as this seems to make the grinding harder to avoid. I always keep my e-brake on until I'm in reverse, ready to go.

Sometimes it takes a few tries, but it avoids the dreaded reverse grind. This isn't caused by a bad cmc, because it happens on cable trannies as well. It's something phisically wrong inside the transmission. I suspect that the grind is harder on the trans internals than quickly shifting to reverse. Good luck!

-josh-

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
umm... there aren't any synchros on reverse gears, right? So that is why reverse grinds when you're moving at all. (tell me if I'm wrong)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts