Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
To all looking for tranny info, here is a collection of posts that may answer some questions that have been commonly asked. Also I have searched for the posts with specs that we use over and over again as well. I will do my best to keep this updated with some frequency.

-The ideal stock tranny's for acceleration are EX and Si from any given gen. of civic/crx also known as y8,z6 and Si

-All 1.6 and 1.5 tranny's will work on 1.5 and 1.6 blocks Zc trannys will work on engines that can support the necessary mid-shaft.

-Zc trannys use different inner axle joints from all the other boxes.

-Y8 (96-00)trannys have steel shift forks, Z6 (92-95) have cast aluminum shift forks, The Ef chassis Civic's&CRX have cast aluminum.

-If you are grinding gears, check your front and rear engine mounts first, mounts and forks typically go out/break before synchros and gears.

-Stock Clutch's are 1988=190mm with 21 splines, 1989= 200mm with 20 splines, 1990-2000=210mm with 20 splines.

-Tranzex is the resident tranny god and can help out with a lot of questions just ask in your post and be patient. He does not answer Pm's so don't bother.

-Rexinre and builthatch are the moderators of this forum, need help ask them, piss them off and you will get shut down.

Transmissions don't have to be expensive repairs or "tricky" to work on, they require patience and mostly the experience of actually working on them to fix them well. Buy the Honda manual for your car from your local dealer parts dept., it will hands down be the best $80 you will ever spend on your car, period. Last and equally important use the search function; use google or yahoo etc.. and link answers you find to our board and make it even stronger.
Regards,
The Fat Chick Wrangler.

ZC and Si ratios and building a hybrid info
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19701

tranny id's

y8 gear swapping

obx lsd

obx lsd 2

y8 trans in CRX

synthetic tranny fluid

D gear compatibility

more tranny ID

Bones Gear Ratio Page

more sohc tranny specs

hybrid gear combo

synchro swapping (link was bad, if anyone knows the right link, let builthatch know)

Ultimate final drive

http://racegearbox.com <gear calculator.

·
Registered
80 Posts
bspeed said:
-If you are grinding gears, check your front and rear engine mounts first, mounts and forks typically go out/break before synchros and gears.
I have a 93dx that I swapped a z6 & si tranny into. It has always been really hard to shift, but usually no real grinding. I just chalked it up to bent/worn forks, but it would be a lot easier fix if it is only motor mounts.

What should I look for, and how in the world would motor mounts affect shifting anyhow(curiosity, not doubt)? The motor mounts that are in there now are not torn or deformed in any visable way. However the passenger side bottom mount (the on that goes on the side of the tranny) was absent for about a week. (long story involving an auto-manual conversion without doing enough research :cussing: )

Thank you very much in advance.

I cant belive I didn't find this place sooner. I'm all about the Ds :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
need info on tranny swap....

i have a 96 civic dx d16 and iam swaping a 94 vx d15 tranny in.. will my stock axles line up with that tranny??? pretty sure they will but just curious. any info would be cool.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

how true is this? cause im grinding 4th and the tranny is making a big rackett, i know my drivers side front lower tourque mount is shot to shit so would that really be the cause? It will go into 4th but when i try to release the clutch it grinds like a mofo. anny suggestions?

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
very uber good.:TU::TU::TU:
the only reason i posted so when i need to find this all i do is look back on my old post...lol

·
Registered
941 Posts
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.