Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to finish off my turbo swap by collecting the final pieces. Actually I slapped the setup in a 88crx but the car was a little too rough so I got a better 89crx. I did breifly drive the 88 while turbo'd, it was quite the joke, didn't have a proper setup at all..

STD manifold
rbh5 turbocharger
mx6 BOV
starion intercooler
2.5" SS mandrel exhaust
STOCK fuel system
STOCK high mileage auto trans.

The car did go considerably faster than before the swap however the tranny only took a few pulls before deciding to slip. The boost held a steady 6psi unless it was between the long delayed gear shifts when it would spike up to about 10psi. We put my buddies wideband o2 sensor on and was getting readings of 17:1... under boost ha ha ha... Amazing Scotty held it together!
Ok, so now that we are gonna swap all the shit to the better car it's time to solve these issues first. I got a pressure relief valve from a 84 Nissan 300zx turbo. These valves were mounted on the intake manifold to prevent overboosting. (I guess Nissan didn't wanna warranty blown turbo engines) Anyway, this unit pops open at about 7psi. I plan to install this on the Honda engine so that if the boost spikes, it'll just blow. I only plan to run 6psi with the auto tranny anyway. Not only that, it'll sound like a BOV between auto-gear shifts.. LOL I got my hands on a obd1 dizzy and ecu, so I can program it to run my 330cc mx6 injectors. So the only thing left to worry about is keeping this auto trans from blowing up. (and no, I don't want a 5spd) From the reading I've done adding a tranny cooler helps alot. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what people have in their setups, like numbers of coolers? cooler size? and pics of how/where they are mounted would be great!

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
i think d16rice had one on his automatic but i cant recall what brand

how bout you use the search feature

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
how bout you use the search feature
I did, but all I came up with is that people use the largest ones possible and sometimes two of them, but no details. Nothing really specific.

I was mostly interested in where people have been mounting them. I don't know if I really wanna zip tie it to the rad as I already have a half style rad from a 99. The IC runs right in front of it so it's just another thing to make the intercooler hotter and made the rad less efficient. I was thinking maybe two small ones in front of the front wheels??

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
I was thinking maybe two small ones in front of the front wheels??
just go with one...can you put it in front of your ac condensor?

or you can also wire up a small radiator fan to it to suck air through it. i know vtecduck wrote a DIY on doing something similar with an intercooler i believe.

i think my 99ex came with one stock so you might be able to score one at a junkyard.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theres a million and one on ebay. Find the right size and buy it put it in front of your ac condensor.

I don't have AC and like I said I replaced my 89 full sized rad with a half sized 99 rad.

I think I've decided to mount the cooler in front of the rad anyway. The intercooler will go in front of the trans-cooler. This way all three units will have some benifit from the engine fan. I picked out a 28,000lb GVW unit. Funny, that cooler is almost as big as the rad! The rad core is 14x14 and the cooler is 11x11. Hopefully, it will prolong the life of the tranny.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
dude.....just put the biggest cooler u can find...or add an alumium dual core rad...where ur A/c was for the cooling...whatever u use....it will be ment for cooling and will work...

·
Registered
107 Posts
If the tranny's already bad/slipping/high miles, then nothing is going to help it. I've seen stock Honda auto trannies hold down 15psi daily driven reliably, but it was a low mileage jdm trans with Honda ATF and an external cooler.

Besides the radiator style coolers, there is another style of cooler that is more effecient used by the pro domestic drag racers. I don't know the name of it but it looks like a long tube with amp style fins coming off of it. I have one in the garage.

In front of the front wheels is actually worse than zip tying it to the radiator unless you run some kind of ducting to it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the tranny's already bad/slipping/high miles, then nothing is going to help it. QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I am swapping the turbo to a whole other car/powertrain.. just hoping to prevent this auto from frying after a few runs like what happened to the first one.. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts