Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tranny in my DX is taking a beating at the drag strip and I am trying to plan a transmission to replace it. From what I have found on here, this is what I would like to do:

Ex Tranny
1st-3.250 stock ex
2nd-1.900 stock ex
3rd-1.346 ZC 3rd
4th-1.033 HF/STD 3rd
5th-.702 stock ex
FD-4.250 stock ex
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
Stock Flywheel
OBX LSD
Short Throw Shifter

My question is, how expensive is this going to be. Mainly I am looking for the cost of the ZC and HF gearsets, I've got numbers for the rest of it. I know the ZC gearset can be hard to find, is there another option out there?

I want a close ratio gearbox as I will be running a NA engine and I need every little bit I can get. Thanks for the help, Anthony

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
gonna cost $250 for a ZC tranny......your easy option.

NO option for the ZC 3rd, atleast not cheaply. I can have custom ZC 3rds made, but for the price you can buy 2-3 ZC trannys.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew it wasn't gonna be cheap, thats actually better than I expected. Will I be able to sell the rest of the ZC tranny after taking the 3rd gear out of it?? How hard are the HF trannys to find and what do they run?? I am thinking I saw one sitting in a junk yard around here recently. There definately is no way to go fast and be cheap thats for sure.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
Just as easy to use the ZC 4th with a little grinding, no sense buying a HF, unless you can get it for $20!!!! Look for a 4 speed tranny, same thing minus 5th gear. You can sell the HF fifth for $25 shipped.

The ZC tranny will be a PITA to sell as is.

Options.........

1) Si diff to rid of the axle issue, then install CRX 3-4-5 and sell it as a DX box.

2) install the above gears with a OBX, sell it for a mint to someone running boost for $750+

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fo rthe info Bone. Gives me a couple options. I'll have a DX box to sell when I pull mine to put this new box in. Hopefully I'll have an EX tranny soon and can start figuring out how it comes apart and goes back together. The only experience I have with trannys has been with Mopar automatics. We use to race an old '64 Fury with a push button shifter. It was actually a good setup for drag racing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts