Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my clutch needs changing in the good ol sedan...so i figured i'd splurge a little bit and drop in a flywheel and LSD while im at it...but i just realized i have a 88 crx si tranny sitting on my patio...im unsure of the condition and honestly its probly trashed, but im assuming the final drive is still good in it. First question, will the final drive out of a 88 crx si fit inside of a 98 d16y7 tranny (sedan) And if so, does anybody know the final drive in the tranny that i have now? I did some research and it looks like the hatches with a d16y7 have a 3.722 FD and the Coupes have a 4.058 FD, but I couldn't figure out which one was in the Sedan. The next question (im still a noob when it comes to FD and gearing ) how much of a performance advantage would i be looking at with the SI final drive? (its a 4.250 btw) I know there is some gains to be made, im just trying to figure out if they will justify the trouble it takes to change them out and everything. (take into consideration that i plan on turboing the SOHC later down the road and thats why i wanted to stick with the taller gears in the LX instead of just doing a tranny swap) Like i said, i already have the final drive so its a free mod basically, im just trying to get a feel of how much its gonna benifit me. Any advice and pros and cons are welcome. Thanks.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,297 Posts
doesn't fit, 88-91 countershafts are shorter.

Find a Y8 tranny. Along with the 4.25 FD you gain a better second gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts