Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone had some good last minute advice in terms of car prep for my first track day on Friday.

Car is a built 10:1 Compression 77mm turbo d16. I'll be running in low boost most of the day so about 240hp and 210tq. Might run a bit at 270hp if all goes well.

I replaced the dist cap, rotor, plugs, wires, brake pads, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and MTF this past weekend and oil is less than 1000 miles old.
Coolant is about 2 years old and is a 50/50 mix. I have a remote mounted canton oil filter, but do NOT have an oil cooler or an oil temp gauge at the moment and I am worried about underhood temperature management. Should I be??? Radiator is thicker than stock but not a 'race' type design (1" or 1.25" thick core) Car has over 5000 miles on current setup and has never overheated but it has never been on a track before.
Should I change out the 50/50 coolant to 100% water with water wetter additive?

Other than that anyone have tips on what to expect or how to prepare for the track day?

Thanks,

EDIT - TRACK IS POCONO RACEWAY - It's a road race course. Not drag racing

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had some good last minute advice in terms of car prep for my first track day on Friday.

Car is a built 10:1 Compression 77mm turbo d16. I'll be running in low boost most of the day so about 240hp and 210tq. Might run a bit at 270hp if all goes well.

I replaced the dist cap, rotor, plugs, wires, brake pads, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and MTF this past weekend and oil is less than 1000 miles old.
Coolant is about 2 years old and is a 50/50 mix. I have a remote mounted canton oil filter, but do NOT have an oil cooler or an oil temp gauge at the moment and I am worried about underhood temperature management. Should I be??? Radiator is thicker than stock but not a 'race' type design (1" or 1.25" thick core) Car has over 5000 miles on current setup and has never overheated but it has never been on a track before.
Should I change out the 50/50 coolant to 100% water with water wetter additive?

Other than that anyone have tips on what to expect or how to prepare for the track day?

Thanks,
of course your going to check all fluids... go out on the street before hand and haul ass... easier on your tranny and everything. thats the only way to know for sure if its ready imo

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
oh, and i run straight water with racing additives.. it cools down your water temps 20%... just dont leave it in when winter gets here

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Got a oil pressure gauge? Just check out all the fluids before-hand, do some 0-speed limit runs on no-traffic roads, and practice preloading!

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoops... I am going to POCONO race track. It is a road course.
IE prolonged times at 100+ mph.
I have an oil pressure gauge.
I'll be running on street tires for at least a few laps and may switch to Kumho V700Victoracers.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
torque your lugs!! Do a couple hot laps around the neighborhood and check your tire psi. Might get a better idea of how much they rise at full temp so you know where to set them cold. do some serious hard braking and make sure your setup can handle this. I would do a quick once over on the suspension. Check your bushings/bolts etc. If you have any doubts about anything, double check. also do you have a temp gauge? The stock needle is useless. By the time the damn thing shows you are running hot, its too late. I like to see a number personally. Most of all, take it easy and have fun. Don't worry about what the other people are doing and their times just go at your own pace until you get some seat time and are familiar with the cars limits. It will take a few slides, some oversteer and a couple pairs of new shorts to find out what you can and cannot do.

·
Registered
999 Posts
you should be good to go... just liek any autox prep gpny ... same deal.... after your first seisson pop the hood check fluids... if you happen to have spare brake pads bring for the ride home just in case... might not be bad idea to hae water sprayer for the tires for after

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's what i'll be running on:

SOUTH ROAD COURSE

A 1 mile course utilizing the south infield road course and Pocono's high banked turn #1 of the tri-oval. The course has ten turns, including a hairpin, and three short straights. The course varies in width from 30-90'.

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts
That looks like that would be fun. i wish they had that type of shit were i live!

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks like that would be fun. i wish they had that type of shit were i live!
They have HPDE's at Lime Rock. THERE ARE STILL SPOTS FOR THE PSCCNY event I'm going to this Friday. The event starts at 7am and is 250$ (+ Scca Membership dues)

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, I'm officically jeaslous! LOL
Jealous? ;-)

Here's a pic of the new brake calipers I just put on... I downgraded my rotor size to 11.1" * 23mm from 11.8" * 28mm (Acuca RL) :)
They work really well!

I'm probably going to spray paint them black to make them more discrete though. lol

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
sweet...looks like thats gonna be fun. One thign Id do, is fill all the tires with nitrogen instead of air. Expands alot less than air does thus keeping tire pressure more accurate. nascar and all thsoe guys use it. I use it in the racing kart. it does gain PSI. but nowhere near air. and last..GL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts