Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so im looking for the optimum ratios for racing on a short track like Streets of Willow in CA. Trying to find better gearing without spending a boat load of money. Also i will need to drive the car on the freeway, so id still like to be able to cruise at 65-70. I have one some research on line, and so far the only options i have come up with are either D2B, 4.9 FD with stock gearing, or jdm L3 3&4th gear swap. Im planning on building a Z6 with a small BW EFR, fully built bottom and top end spinning to 9k. I would like to get some opinions from people who have experience with these routes, and your opinions on the pro's and con's of each.

Reason for keeping the D instead of going with a B or K are partly expenses, and CA BAR/Ref. I had a MKIII Supra in the past with a 2jz swap and got a ref ticket, long story short ended up parting out and crushing the shell for the judge, so i dont want to go down that road again.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
DX 1-2, L3 3-4, choice of 5th for the highway. Since it will be a street car as well a 2-3-4 build will be better than a 3-4-5 + 4.5/4.7/4.9 FD.

James @ Ghostwerks if you needed a trans. builder in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/ghostwerksinc/

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
MFactory close gear set. With an OEM 4.058 FD 80mph will put you at about 4,800 RPM. Unless you want to build a trans for every track, this combo cannot be beat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info and opinions. I think the problem with the M-Factory is that it is actually too close of a gear ratio, maybe good for low power builds but im planning on making some decent power. I think i would run out of gearing too fast.

Im liking the idea you put out there James about the dx 1-2 L3 3-4 and si 5th, what about si/ex 1-2nd L3 3-4 and si 5th? do you really need the longer 1-2 from the dx or will the si suffice. im trying to mimic a gsr tranny. thanks for the input

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
You're not going to run out of gear at Streets. If you're worried about running faster than 135mph (8,000 RPM, 205/50/15's) you can run the 3.722 FD and that bumps it up to 148mph. Then again, the setup Bone mentioned tops out at 125mph in 4th so you have less speed than the MFactory gear set. Not to mention worse RPM drops in every gear (that means you're putting down less power after every upshift) and DOHC ZC 3rd gears are getting very hard to get.

I've run both setups on track, including the DX 1/2 with DOHC ZC 3rd, a much shorter 4th and a 4.7 FD and the close gear set trumped them both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're not going to run out of gear at Streets. If you're worried about running faster than 135mph (8,000 RPM, 205/50/15's) you can run the 3.722 FD and that bumps it up to 148mph. Then again, the setup Bone mentioned tops out at 125mph in 4th so you have less speed than the MFactory gear set. Not to mention worse RPM drops in every gear (that means you're putting down less power after every upshift) and DOHC ZC 3rd gears are getting very hard to get.

I've run both setups on track, including the DX 1/2 with DOHC ZC 3rd, a much shorter 4th and a 4.7 FD and the close gear set trumped them both.
Ok, good to know! this is the kind of information im looking for, people with experience of both. Now what do you guys think about the D2B swap, do you think its worth the $600? Then i could just get a b18c type r tranny and the swap kit and call it done, maybe more money up front but the gearing would be easier to change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 for the m-factory close ratio gears. I'm running those with the 3.7 fd aquafina mentioned. It's actually the tranny TheToaster built. Quite a wonderful spread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 for the m-factory close ratio gears. I'm running those with the 3.7 fd aquafina mentioned. It's actually the tranny TheToaster built. Quite a wonderful spread.
Thankyou for the input, ill tally it up to one more for the m-factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts