Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I got a built DOHC ZC with ZCSpeed adapter plate and thermal intake gaskets. Anyway, I broke-in the engine, went easy on it, then I decided to go WOT and see what it could do. I launched, shifted to second, went to 7500 RPM, went to shift to third and it was dead with the CEL on. I got home and saw it was the TPS, went and looked at it and the connector part of it broke off from being crushed against the firewall.

With the adapter plate and thermal gaskets it sits about 3/4" farther toward the firewall, so all I got is 1/4" of room between TPS and Firewall, even with the firewall dented in all it could go. I got Hasport 70A mounts, but the engine still torques enough to crush it. It would clear if the connector part of the TPS wasn't at an angle and instead straight like the K20 TPS:

D-series:

K20:

I can't make anymore room for the TPS where it is now. Anybody know of a way to angle it up more or does the K20 TPS fit? I'll get a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
tranny torque mount still there down in front, under the frame rail?

if not buy one, and either toss an insert in it, or fill it with 3m window weld/sealant

people dont understand how important torque mounts are.

Other option is to buy the cheapest ebay tie bar for civics/crx, and use teh ends with a cheap bike rear spring (pedal bicycle) and make your own engine dampener

here is what I am talking about

Rear Shock Spring Suspension 50cc 70cc 110cc Dirt Bike: eBay Motors (item 330464744464 end time Sep-23-10 19:08:57 PDT)

or

Mountain bike rear suspension shock #750/in spring - eBay (item 110585496769 end time Sep-19-10 13:32:19 PDT)

Make a bracket that bolts to the top 2 tranny-to-block bolts, and connect it with a fabb'd bracket to tehf irewall or rear crossmeber somehow

or easy and buy this
92-95 96-00 HONDA CIVIC EG6 EK9 SI DOHC ENGINE DAMPER: eBay Motors (item 270631597613 end time Sep-12-10 21:28:04 PDT)

Pay no attention to years listed, its easy to find a mounting hole

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
That engine bay looks good.

Really I think the best bet is.......Bigger Hammer.

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
You can get small exhaust clamps to mount around the traction bar in the front. Then get a chain and bolt it in. You can put a hose over the chain so it doesn't rattle. Just a cheap idea until you get something real.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so fixed the problem. Here is how it broke off:

I thought that since the connector takes up so much room, I'll just attach each female terminal to the male terminal. Like this:

I used pliers to squeeze the female ends so it would push on tight. I also used a little solder to help hold it on (just a little so I can take it off), then put heat shrink over each one. I tried pulling on them and they won't come off so I'm good. I check the voltages again on the TPS and it's still working fine and now I have about 1 1/4" room so no problem. I also drove the car with the hood off so we could see how much the engine moves, and it was barely anything it just broke before because it was right against the firewall. I'm still getting a dampner anyway, sorry not going to make one with chains or bike struts,lol.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Too bad heatshrink was forgotten

but hey, if it works, it works

wrap it up with some good electrical tape, and put a small piece of that plastic loom, and shes good to go

EDIT I IZ BRAIN FART'D it unplugs lol , <facepalm myself>

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
that works....

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good solution. haha.

i say run the front tranny mount if you dont want this problem anymore.

Can't run the front tranny mount, have to use a dampner. The only reason I had this problem was because of the adapter plate and skunk2 manifold made it tight against the firewall. Just a D16 with skunk2, enough room, a DOHC ZC w/ adapter plate in a crx not a problem, but the combination of the two made a problem. I won't have this problem anymore, because now it has room. Thanks guys for the help. :)

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
could always have one welded on. thats what i did with my traction bar and what we did with lowball's traction bar.

our motors dont budge an 1/8th of an inch with over 400whp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts