Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been taking my car to the drag strip.

ive gone 2 times this summer and both times have had tps issues.

the first time my tps got all out of wack after my first run. i couldnt get it to adjust any more then .15 closed throttle. (it needs to be .45 roughly)

well i found later on that the little metal tabs on the TB that turn the tps as the throttle opens where bent.

i bent them correct and adjusted the tps and the car ran fine for 2 weeks then went back to the drag strip.

on my 2nd or 3rd run i got a CEL and it was tps again.

using neptune. i found that the CEL comes on right at 66% open and goes off if i drop down to 65% but over 66% the CEL will be on. (this testing was done with engine off and key on)

i used neptunes tps dial in thing and set the tps proper and still getting a CEL above 66%

got home and changed the tps and stame problem. tried other TB and tps still same problem.

seems like something in the wireing. i changed the tps plug(as mine was a bit ratty from probing it with multimeter) still having the issue.

any ideas what it could be?

D17Y8 11:1cr with JRSC running on 91 tuned with neptune.

thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you monitored the TPS output voltage readings as you slowly move from closed throttle through the mysteriously problematic 60% range to WOT? Post that video.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea there doesnt seem to be any dead spots or anything. but when i get home ill post a video of tps voltages through the range.

the fact that ive tried 2 tps sensors and both have a problem at the exact same spot.
even putting the sensors on a different TB they have a problem at the exact same spot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hard to tell. What voltage does 66% correspond to? I'd concentrate on the voltage range just below that to just above it. And maybe using the pedal rather than turning by hand would be smoother.

Have you already tried a different known good ECU?

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so finally tried a different ecu.

this other ecu i tried had the q31 chip blown and it like burned up the board pretty bad. i replaced it at had to jerry rig a bit but i think it should be good enough also auto to manual converted.

any way put it in and turned the key on pushed on the gas pedal and no cel at all. didnt start it or anything as its not chipped or anything.

any ideas as to what could be the problem with my ecu? i have examined it and see no physical signs of anything wrong(othe then where i replaced q31 on it a long time ago and it wasnt burned up near as bad as this other ecu i tried)

im getting ready to convert a non vtec ecu into vtec then chip it and ill put my demon on it and try that out see what happens but would still like to fix my original ecu if possible.

any other help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay so more TPS issues.

as i said a different ecu did make adifference... sorta. this was an un chipped ecu.

i took my demon out of my ecu and pulled j1 and then no CEL. put jumper back and demon. get the CEL.

so ive been working on this other p28 for my buddy so i thought well ill chip it and put his demon in it. i did so. loaded up a stock d16y8 map still same issue. but if i pull j1 i get no CEL. i made a video here.

ecu issue - YouTube

so what the hell?

different ecu
different demon
different map
same problem.

stock ecu(j1 pulled) no issue.

help is much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts