Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so my girlfriends car spun the number one rod bearing in her 2000 camry with a 2.2 5sfe (Don't hate if my toyota lingo isn't down i'm trying). I can't seem to find a replacement short block for a decent price at all. I guess i'm just used to Hondas, but I'm not paying $600 for a used short block that is rediculous. We could rebuild it, but the car really only needs to make it another 3 years untill she graduates then it wouldn't matter anymore. I have found a few 2liters and 2.2 liters, but i'm not sure what is interchangeable and what isn't with these cars.

I have tried to do some research, but have been unsucessful.

Someone please help me thanks,
Chris

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
my friend works at fletcher jones toyota back in vegas as a mechanic, he is a member on here but hes not on very much...

if no one can help ill ask him to check out this thread, he might have hook ups on this stuff as well...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you only need it to last a few years could you get away with just throwing a new bearing in and drive it till it dies? I know thats not the best thing to do but if your looking for cost effective and the crank isnt messed up Id just replace said bearing and be done with it.

Just my opinion though. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Friends garage just took on a replacement of one of these for a customer...prices are high for the used engines here too.

Seems lots of them go bad and the used ones that are anygood command a premium.

Not much help i know...good luck.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4door: Thank you and let me know

DJ: That was my first thought, but it seems the crank has been hit.

Redragn: Thanks for the input.

Update: I may have found a 3gste short block out of a mr2. I just need the block forget the ct-26 LOL

·
Registered
547 Posts
those motor burn up oil like nothing. i get discount on oem parts so just pm or something. i work at a chevy/ toyota dealer in bowling green ohio . if i remember rigth you stay in tiffin right?

sorry i change my post. i was wrong about the warrenty. i guess my memories is not good as i thougt

·
Registered
civic
1,481 Posts
if she brought the car new, they are under a 10 year and 100,000 miles warrenty. those motor burn up oil like nothing. i get discount on oem parts so just pm or something. i work at a chevy/ toyota dealer in bowling green ohio . if i remember rigth you stay in tiffin right?
You must be young, Back in 2000 they only had 36k or 3 year warrenties

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
No input here but bump for a good guy.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
civic510z: I may be in contact with you. How the hell did you know I'm from Tiffin?

TurboedEk: IT's got 180k so, either way the warranty is void. Appreaciate the input though.

mindless: Thanks dude

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
TurboedEk: IT's got 180k so, either way the warranty is void. Appreaciate the input though.
the miles may not mean shit...

my 96 tacoma had a recall for the head gasket, dosnt matter how many mile's it had, it was still covered, i know for sure if there was a recall, it WILL be covered... i worked at a toyota dealership for 10 years, i remember them working on old ass cars for free because of recall related items...

in fact, my neighbor at the time had a 90 4runner, head gasket took a shit, guess what, it was covered and this was in '05...

call the dealer and give them your vin number and see what they say, make sure to ask if there is a recall for your motor...

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
civic510z: I may be in contact with you. How the hell did you know I'm from Tiffin?

mindless: Thanks dude
in one of your sale post, you stated where u stay and i remember because i stay in findlay.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Well since I used to work for an engine importer click here. This is the place where I worked and they advertise their engine as a 2.0l replacement for that year. Like it says you need to drill and tap for cam sensor and use you intake and exhaust mani. Although some of their engines were good, there were a bunch that had nasty black gunky oil in it. If something is wrong they won't pay for shipping at all which sucks because they would want for you to pay shipping both ways. Talk with boostdelinquent and see if he can source one for you as I rather go for the sponsor. Hope this helps:)

Edit: If they carry the 2.2L one then they charge more for that one. Click here to see price on this one and requires only intake and exhaust mani swap.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
UPDATE

So, I spent 5 hours outside saturday, -17 with the wind chill, pulling a 5sfe for the ladys car. The problem was that I didn't have a 24mm socket to drop the upper control arm so, the half shafts would fall out. Right now the engine sits 90% done so I hope no-one drops in and takes it out from under me.

I am heading back down this thursday to pick it up if it is still there. I will update this thread after I have visited.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i say to just take the bottom end apart, take crank to the machine shop, trow some new bearings in it and be done.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
auto zone has the bearings (rod & main) for like 95 bucks, and i know getting the crack turned can be that high....

just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's more than new bearing the crank is shot. I figured with a spare bottom end I could throw some new bearings in that, do a leak down and if it checks out o.k. be done with it. This damn had to break down right in the middle of my build.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts