Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a CT26 A Turbocharger for nothing. It has some wobble play no in and out play though....I dont mind rebuilding the turbo as i got it for almost free.
Question. Its set @ 8.5PSI.... on a Stock D16y8 motor. does anyone know what to expect. I will run it with a tune and dyno it properly. I just dont want to run over the 220WHP limit to sacrifice the motor.

CT26 A Turbo
Logmanifold/cast/ or a ramhorn if i can find one.
2.25 exhaust "might be a tad small but hoping will work?"

Just dont want to gernade it. any suggestions or help with this turbo on the D16 would be most helpful. Feel free to talk all day :TU:

Thanks D series.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I know nothing about that turbo but if you kee the power under the 220 mark then you should be good to go.

Also note just because the turbo is free doesn't mean it won't cost you anything.
What I mean by that is you might spend more making this turbo work for you ( manifold, dp etc..) vs just buying a different turbo.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
What I mean by that is you might spend more making this turbo work for you ( manifold, dp etc..) vs just buying a different turbo.
:clap:

always keep this in mind. you can get a cast T3 or T25 manifold for a D-series for ~50 and just the flange to bolt up your CT26 might cost that much.

·
Registered
98 SI Coupe
80 Posts
I say do it. They are easy to rebuild if necessary, there are a million threads on Supra forums, and CT26 to T3 flange adapters are cheap, or make your own. And water cooling it is 'optional.'

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys any more suggestions on the turbos performance on a d16? what is the size of this turbo in comparison to another turbos on the market...and quality. i picked it up for 40 bucks....it seems to spin ok...but has shaft play...i dont mind rebuilding it...and doing a custom flange or downpipe work might not be an issue since i have accsess to virtualy free weilding. just looking for a good confident answer on this turbo....the block wasnt rebuilt with what i wanted and instead stock for now...fresh motor...but dont want to fuck it up with to big of a turbo on a stock lower block

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
btw....would u see head lift also at 200whp with stock studs....if so ill replace with arps.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Hate to quote to help you again but had to post a pat quote I thought of when you asked this question, RIP Pat.

The head will lift when the cylinder pressure overcomes the bolt preload.

While boost is one factor there are a few others like compression, inlet valve closing point, IAT, port flow, ignition timing, grade of fuel, a:f, thermal history of the assembly, condition of the bolts (have they been or are they over tightened) and most of all detonation.

If everything is done right they should be good to well over 200hp. They are made well from very good steel. ARP are better made from better steel, but there is not as much difference as many seem to think. The main thing is DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM. Just because 60 is better than 50, it does not automatically follow that 70 must be better than 60.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Ah Pat sharing his infinite wisdom from the grave. Gone but not forgotten.

To the OP: I say get it good and run it. Swapping to ARP studs is super easy if you choose that route. Just remember to loosen the stock head bolts in the same manner as you would tighten them.(sequence) this will prevent head warpage.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is the CT26A Turbo that i came across....i want to use this @ 8.5PSI. I asked a local tuner today about this setup. He said the same thing as everyone else about 220whp on a tune being good. Neptune engine managment. p28 ECU chipped. 450CC DSM....ect. But what will this turbo do? here are pics of it.....If its less WHP...i will sleep at night for the sake of stock and being reliable.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Using that wastegate will make it hard.
My Nissan t25 was clock like that, but was able to move it and mount it to a bolt on the intake of the turbo. That way I was able to clock it then.

So if your trying to keep ac it's going to be hard.
If not then all is fine.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
meh i can live without A/C in the ride. as long as this turbo will work! lol...i wonder when this thing will spool up by? 3800-4500? ramhorn mani is desired. there is a "C" clip on the turbo compressor housing..so i am assuming it can be turned? i was wondering the same thing hahah...wish more would input.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had one of these back in the day, with the intentions of piecing a kit together. After researching HT, and other forums it didn't found worth while, so I sold the turb for $50

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that turbo is rubbish.
Rubbish? its still a Turbo...and not Ebay junk....Besides i called Whitfield racing in upland California. They said the setup would work fine.....i am not looking for the best turbo build in the world....and most on D series are for Full RACE, which i will do one day, but for now the turbo was free from a freind who helped rebuild my motor. All it needs is a rebuild kit. The only thing junk are your lack of help and words...

I know this Turbo will make power on a D.... This is for a Stock block, not a 250+ WHP screamer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts