Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
No more Honda's :-(
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a new job that is a 70 mile round trip drive so i have been thinking about putting my stock motor and trans back into my car. my only worry is that i use my car to tow 2 dirt bikes on the highway once in a while. anyone think towing about 1,000 lbs would be a problem with a stock cx?

·
Registered
544 Posts
umm get a truck? i would never tow anything with a car but thats just me, but i've grown up with access to trucks so yea

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
WHY!? You should be shot! I HATE it when people tow with cars, especially FWD cars. Ok. Now let me ask you this, didnt the CX have issues getting itself going down the road? How are you going to tow with that? Thats just my opinion.

·
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
haha, you guys are funny. i guess i should have added that if you don't know what you're talking about then don't reply.

Blow out the rear shocks/suspension and frame not "made" for towing.... maybe not "made" for it but i honestly doubt the extra 100- pounds of weight on the ball will hurt anything, esp since i've been towing with the car since i bought it and apeartly the previous owner was as well..... and he or she was doing it with the stock motor and suspension!!!!!!!! i have waxed peoples ass' when towing my motorcycle around as well.

anyways what would be the best to tow with but still get kick ass gas mileage during the week? i have access to anything from a stock cx or vx motor all the way to built 1.6 sohc with a big turbo.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
although i think that you are, you dont speak like a smart man. what posessed you to even entertain that oddball assed thought?

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
If all you want is mileage and ability to tow, I would say b7 engine and tranny with maybe a few bolt ons. I still say just buy a damned truck.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
haha, you guys are funny. i guess i should have added that if you don't know what you're talking about then don't reply.
some of us know a thing or two about towing, i have been schooled on it many a time. i had a "red neck" for an ex-room mate, he used a 2500 chevy HD to sled pull with every other weekend (morgans sled pulling in NC, look it up if you want. his name is ryan). my dad and baby moma's dad, both drove semi's.

so here is the lesson, towing with a civic is very very bad. can it be done, sure. should it be done, no.

its possible to tow with any automobile, as long as you can attach a hitch to it. but should it be done, hell no. leave towing to trucks.

·
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
or spend the money on a small U-HAUL with the tow dolley package.... its like $50 (if that)

·
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i asked because some where along the lines some one towed with this car in stock form..... what i don't know.

a dx motor puts ou 98 ft/lb tq @ 5000 rpm, probly no where near the rpm i'll be at while towing and no where near the rpms that i'd be taking the motor up to while driving around on the street.

a cx motor makes 91 ft/lb tq at 2000 rpm, which seems a lot more like the rpm that i'd be around when towing in the city and probly on the highway. i don't know what rpm the cx sits at at 70-80 mph though. i know my y8 gear set trans sits around 3400 rpm i think.

a truck is out of the question, so far my Civic does far more that i need it to and a truck would be a lot of over kill not to mention the gas mileage back and forth to work everyday.

·
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why shouldn't i town with my Civic, what bad will come of it?

·
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
tow package or not, it should not be done. the tow package only attaches the hitch to the "frame". i use quotes since its not really attached to a frame. just a sub-section of the "frame".
im talking about using the U-HAUL truck. not his car.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
why shouldn't i town with my Civic, what bad will come of it?
your frame is three sections (front sub-frame, center frame, rear sub-frame). the stress is placed on the rear section. if you get hit while the pressure is just on the rear section.... :skull:

why is it that trucks are the only ones people suggest to tow with, cause they have a full frame. two rails from front to back and everything is attached to it. on a civic, your trusting a weld job....

im talking about using the U-HAUL truck. not his car.
opps sorry bro.

·
Registered
544 Posts
just go out a buy a POS Toyota Pickup 4 Cylinder and you will be fine, get like 20mpg on the highway and just let it sit around untill you need it

·
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've been rear ended by a Buick going 30 and totaled the Buick, scratched my bumper. a month ago i got rear ended by a Dodge ram 1500/2500 while i had my trailer hooked up, it bend my trailer all to hell but the hitch is still in the same spot. i don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Pickup's where i live are outragous price wise. i could buy 2 hatches for what a truck costs.

·
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
well.... do whatcha goota do brah... hope it works out for you. you asked & we answered...

·
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1500-2000 pounds, 70 mph on the way home on city streets stopped, went etc just fine. could definatly tell the weight was there though. the whole inside of the car was full of shit as well.

this was with the low compression motor as well with no turbo.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts