Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in attending some track days and noticed that most tracks require a front tow hook. Interested in anyone's set-up or recommendations for functional front tow hooks. Not interested in blingy, aluminum, bolt-on rear nonsense. Pics are nice. Mods feel free to move this to a different section if desired.

Thanks in advance :bigok:

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
It's a lot better if they are high enough so you don't need to kneel down to hook up.

On a real race car, on the top of the front of the cage and through any bodywork.

A piece of 3/8" steel rod bent into a "U" shape and welded on.

For a street car, it really depends on yoyr front chassis and bodywork. Each car will be different. Most I see are under the bumper because that's easiest to fabricate and is normally out of the way. Many here use OEM shipping tie down points.

If there is room, something in a hole in the grill just below bonnet (hood) line and attached to the radiator support if that is hefty enough, or projecting up from between the guard (fender) and the bonnet where the guar, inner guard, and radiator support all come together, or where the inner guard and strut tower come together.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
thye are gay you have two already in the front and many other places to hook up

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fail to see a connection between wanting something functional and "gay" have you seen my car ? the stock tow hooks are not exactly in the most accesible place, or visible to track workers.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
I fail to see a connection between wanting something functional and "gay" have you seen my car ? the stock tow hooks are not exactly in the most accesible place, or visible to track workers.
Not to mention if you had a front lip, and your in a ditch and they have to use the front ones. kiss the lip goodbye. Even when they were getting my 01 on a flatbed the angle of the bed and my car being lowered made the chains bend up the bumper a bit.
That lasted about 1 sec before i told him to stop and get some wood under the wheels.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
As an ex crew chief, somehow tow hooks up high and accessible make life real easy and the driver does not run over the tow rope, well at least not as often.

Not so important if you can drive to and from the pits I guess.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
Not to mention if you had a front lip, and your in a ditch and they have to use the front ones. kiss the lip goodbye. Even when they were getting my 01 on a flatbed the angle of the bed and my car being lowered made the chains bend up the bumper a bit.
That lasted about 1 sec before i told him to stop and get some wood under the wheels.
hmm thought tsxs had the i bolt deals you screw into that deal in the front bumper

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
some good points pat, thanks for the ideas.

I am starting to brew up some thoughts, so far I am thinking this hole might prove usefull:

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i personally like them to sit like this,
not to far out

lol at the razor on the rack. I am thinking something along similar lines although I belive the benen are aluminum and I would prefer steel.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
why not just make em urself?? if you don;t really care about pretty. take a piece of steel and an oxyacetylene torch and a drill. make your own.. lol

·
Registered
91 HB
218 Posts
arent these tow hooks just an extension of your stock ones??

Id get them if you have too because of the track... personally, i when i go off the "track" i end up into a guard or off a cliff.

Just dont hang a keychain off it because thats just rice...

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
maybe you could use something like this but the design to me is questionable.
This is the best function over form type of tow hook.

:arrow: E. Jeezy Approved

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
why not just make em urself?? if you don;t really care about pretty. take a piece of steel and an oxyacetylene torch and a drill. make your own.. lol
I currently do not have acces to either of those tools :( but other than that I would love to make it myself

maybe you could use something like this but the design to me is questionable.
that is pretty blingy for my car :) but I dig the design

arent these tow hooks just an extension of your stock ones??

Id get them if you have too because of the track... personally, i when i go off the "track" i end up into a guard or off a cliff.

Just dont hang a keychain off it because thats just rice...
most of the "bling" ones just bolt to your stock one, but as pat and grounded have mentioned the stock location of the front tow points is far from desireable.

please be careful on your "track".

I don't, as well I'm sure as many others intend to go off track, but safety precautions are there for a reason and I am sure that track rules are as well.

I will hang nothing but the entrails of my enemys slain in battle from my tow hook.

This is the best function over form type of tow hook.

:arrow: E. Jeezy Approved
pretty form as well :bigok:

as do i BUT its in the way of my intercooler :(
I wish I had that problem :) maybe in the future.

here is a quick paint chop, I am thinking I may use the location where the bumper support would bolt onto as my tie in point to the subframe next time I get a chance I'll check how feasible this idea is:

oh sleepy: I was thinking about hitting you up I know that yours are steel right? The only issue is that I would like to mount the hook higher up than stock, do you have any ideas ? Maybe I could just bend one of those into an "L" shape and mount it like my sweet ms paint schematic.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
Looks like a solid plan, T-Rizzle

1 - 20 of 58 Posts