Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
04Civic Ex coupe
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 04 ex coupe and was wondering what kind of ECU i have, and all the OBDI and OBDII i dont fully understand all of that, and what would my ECU be considered? could any one help me with this info or just point me in a place i could? thanks for any help/advice.

Drew

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
you have an OBDIIb...the ecu in your civic is the second version of the obdII ecu, and cannot be converted to anything else...here are the pros and cons of this ecu
pros:
is a self adjusting/"learning" ecu, meaning after you add any modification the ecu will automatically adjust the fuel and timing as needed as long as the modification will allow the sensor to stay within specifications (and no the ecu will not adjust for boost)...so upgrading exhuast, intakes, cams, head work, most n/a modifications will be tuned to a point by the ecu, however the ecu can only do so much, so if you decide to go all out and put in a stage 3 cam, do major head rework, high compression, the ecu will not adjust for that and you will need to do either a complete stand alone system that works with the obdIIb systems, or you might get away with a piggyback (such as a vafcII) depending on upgrades...

cons - cannot be chipped (or not that i know of), needs to be replaced if to many upgrades are done, and piggybacks are limited, meaning you only get a limited selection of piggybacks to choose from, at the moment the only one that i know of is the vafcII...also you will loose some tuning ability due to the lack of the distributor, all electric timing is controlled by the ecu, not by a distributor...as for stand alones, i know that the aem ems will work, but it runs over 1000 dollars to purchase, and that does not include the laptop/computer needed to tune the system...

hope this answers your questions...

·
Registered
04Civic Ex coupe
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
just one more stupid question, doese my ECU have a number or anything like that. i know there is a P28 and stuff like that. srry if thses seem dumb, but i am just trying to learn about my car and my knowledge is pretty limited. so i really do appreciate everyones help with any of my questions.

Drew

·
Registered
04Civic Ex coupe
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since my ECU can't be chipped, can it be change out to one that i can chip/ modify? i can which one can i change it to, and how difficult would this be? thanks for any help

Drew

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
redex04 said:
since my ECU can't be chipped, can it be change out to one that i can chip/ modify? i can which one can i change it to, and how difficult would this be? thanks for any help

Drew
Notta, you can only put a Rsx or SI ecu in there, that is if you are running that motor, those are the only ones that can be modified to this day for new gens! sorry man buy they really messed up when they came out w/ d17 and its components..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts