Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

So I was changing both my torque mounts on my 1998 civic sedan, did the driver side easy. Then I went to the passenger side, one of the nuts welds broke so its spinning freely. Cut the bolt off and started to do some research, some people said to just weld the mount to the frame, or cut a hole in the frame re weld the nut and weld the frame back closed. I dont have a welder and dont want to try that. But I have an idea, if I took a really long bolt (enough to make it through to the top of the frame) and drilled through to the other side of the frame, and the just put a nut and washer on top of the frame, just wondering if that's a bad idea or not. Idk if explained it clearly or not I kind of suck at explaining things.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
Find a way to get inside the frame rail, don't use a long bolt.

There's a reinforced plate that the wended nuts are mounted to which provided reinforcement. You can re-use the weld nut that's broken off or use another nut with a lock washer.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Lots of new cars use "long bolts" to mount the subframe to the unibody. It shouldnt be a bad idea to do that if you have enough surface area on the top to distribute the load and prevent damage.

With that being said, if you can get into the frame rail with a small hole or access door, you can fish a new nut in there. Then weld the access door back shut if you have a welder there that you were going to use to weld the mount to the unibody. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts