Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side torque mount was shot so I took it out. I have a 97 civic. I wanna know if this will affect my driver side oil filled mount or if it's all good and I can leave it as is with no torque mount.

I just heard of the top mount breaking due to removing the torque mount. Just to know I am in no trouble.

By the way, my setup is vitara build shooting for 450 whp.

Thanks for any input.

If anybody made a custom replacement, please post it also. I have an idea for one but dont have time to look for parts to make it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
well that oil filled mount sucks anyways...im sure its not good for it...but that torque mount is def. there for a reason...so i would find a replacement...also you can buy replacement mount to take place of the shitty/sucky/leaky driver side mount

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
the torque mounts don't act like the 3 major mounts of the motor. They just stop the motor and trans from moving too much by using the frame rails as a stopping point. if the rubber around the mounts are bad it's not too much of a problem since it doesn't do much anyway, just the center mass of rubber is key. You will most likely rip the larger mounts if the torque mounts are not there, especially with 450whp. If you really wanted to remove them I would look into a high quality engine dampener.

·
Registered
92 Si
178 Posts
Define high quality dampner? You talking about a solid mount more like the innovative mounts or what? I too have had issues with the torque mount on the driver side. I recently replaced all the mounts except the K mount and the two torque mounts with the innovative mounts. The drivers side torque mount no longer does anything at all, its just kinda there.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
An engine dampener from a reputable manufacturer. The driver's side torque mount has some small strips of rubber going from the center where it bolts to the bracket to the outside where it mounts to the frame rail. These small strips of rubber are not the main function of the torque mount, the center of the mount is. Which is a mass of rubber that does not allow the engine to move more than when it comes to rest against the rail. It's like a bump stop. that's why the area directly above the center of the mount is reinforced. so if the small strips of rubber deteriorate like mine did (after a few months after buying a brand new one) the mount still retains it's effectiveness. If the center of the mount wares out then it can probably cause some damage to the frame rail.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
At that power you'll want to most minimal rocking of the motor/trans in order to not affect shifting at higher revs. I'd put it back on and fill the bad mount with poly.

GL!

·
Registered
92 Si
178 Posts
Define high quality dampner?
I guess then I should ask what do you define as a dampner. I know what the torque mount is and what it is supposed to do and how ineffective they've been on the drivers side of my car from day one. I get a months use out of one before they are obliterated with normal street driving when the car was NA.

This was on the stock mounts for the car, and the mounts themselves seemed to sit the motor low on the drivers side for whatever reason. With the innovative mounts it sits higher, however I still dont see the point of buying something that, I've blown apart no mater what make or place I've bought it from. And I've bought it from every parts warehouse/make/manufacturer in my area except from Honda themselves.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
I guess then I should ask what do you define as a dampner. I know what the torque mount is and what it is supposed to do and how ineffective they've been on the drivers side of my car from day one. I get a months use out of one before they are obliterated with normal street driving when the car was NA.

This was on the stock mounts for the car, and the mounts themselves seemed to sit the motor low on the drivers side for whatever reason. With the innovative mounts it sits higher, however I still dont see the point of buying something that, I've blown apart no mater what make or place I've bought it from. And I've bought it from every parts warehouse/make/manufacturer in my area except from Honda themselves.
search for civic engine dampener. It's a small shock that you mount between the frame and motor that dampens the torque from the motor

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
My driver side torque mount was shot so I took it out. I have a 97 civic. I wanna know if this will affect my driver side oil filled mount or if it's all good and I can leave it as is with no torque mount.

I just heard of the top mount breaking due to removing the torque mount. Just to know I am in no trouble.

By the way, my setup is vitara build shooting for 450 whp.

Thanks for any input.

If anybody made a custom replacement, please post it also. I have an idea for one but dont have time to look for parts to make it.
with power goals like that I'd want all the mounts I could get my hands on. If had a pair that I filled with urethane... i ended up selling them before i used them though. just be careful man. if it were me id deffenitly replace it. check on here, clist, and ebay if you have to man.

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input everybody. I think I will get the engine dampner and try to get some solid mounts.

The thing is im not sure I want all the extra vibration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts