Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I wanted to re-torque down my head gasket. What should have been a 20-30 min job took me about 2 hours. All because I couldn't find some tools. I have organized it before and it just doesn't stay that way... Between the wife looking for the infamous hammer; my friends wanting to borrow tools; and me not putting things back where they belong, things go right back to chaos real quick.

With that said, I want to hear what you do to keep your stuff organized because after tonight (taking me away from d-series time) I am sooo opened for ideas.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
258 Posts
It starts off with you. Recognize your problem then your plan. Your schedule, other peoples' schedules, than with your tools to make a good selection and good organization. And when you should be done.

That will answer how your tools will be set up.

1. I always like make a plan 3 days ahead to find out what my schedule and peoples' schedule looks like, analyze the problem, 2. RESEARCH: verify the problem, go to my boys and and then come here to see if the solution will coincide with the problem. 3. Write down on a piece of paper of what tools you will need. 4. What parts I need. 5. Write down what the sequence needed 6. Go over the procedures that you are going to execute in your mind. 7. What tools is needed. Always plan your attack.

example: torque specs needed on cylinder head.

haynes or helms manual for sequence ontop on side of motor, clean rag to lay bolts on to make it easier to find it, 1/2 ratchet with 1/2 deepwell socket 14mm. 1/4 ratchet and extension+10mm socket to take out valve cover bolts. Permatex gasket glue. 12mm socket extension and a 12mm gearwrench for dist. firing order for distributor written on paper. Basically I think that covers all. That mind set, just only the tools needed an prepared will guarantee 20-30min. Sounds like psychology with a Sun tzu "Art of War" twist. You can also apply to your own life, I do it, everyday.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
My workbench is a chaotic mess or sockets and ratchets. Thankfully I have a box to organize my sockets in, and all my wrenches/impacts guns/screwdrives stay on the wall on a hook board.

Only problem I have is finding the last place I left a tool when I am actually WORKING on my car

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Devine_wind said:
It starts off with you. Recognize your problem then your plan. Your schedule, other peoples' schedules, than with your tools to make a good selection and good organization. And when you should be done.

That will answer how your tools will be set up.

1. I always like make a plan 3 days ahead to find out what my schedule and peoples' schedule looks like, analyze the problem, 2. RESEARCH: verify the problem, go to my boys and and then come here to see if the solution will coincide with the problem. 3. Write down on a piece of paper of what tools you will need. 4. What parts I need. 5. Write down what the sequence needed 6. Go over the procedures that you are going to execute in your mind. 7. What tools is needed. Always plan your attack.

example: torque specs needed on cylinder head.

haynes or helms manual for sequence ontop on side of motor, clean rag to lay bolts on to make it easier to find it, 1/2 ratchet with 1/2 deepwell socket 14mm. 1/4 ratchet and extension+10mm socket to take out valve cover bolts. Permatex gasket glue. 12mm socket extension and a 12mm gearwrench for dist. firing order for distributor written on paper. Basically I think that covers all. That mind set, just only the tools needed an prepared will guarantee 20-30min. Sounds like psychology with a Sun tzu "Art of War" twist. You can also apply to your own life, I do it, everyday.
did your realize that he asked what people do to keep their tools from getting scattered around so their not an any particular place???

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't matter; I would actually like to know both. How you organize the tools (weather or not everything has a spot or just throw it in any drawer). Also what you do to keep your friends/significant others out!

I have seen some people with this foam stuff you put in the drawers and it molds to your specific tool. Am I crazy or does this shit really exist?

Thanks for the replies thus far.

·
Registered
258 Posts
for the simple way I have big ziplock bags and a small three drawer tool chest that's one of my bigger ornganizing ideas that I do. If you like the physical sense of things. as for the foam stuff you can pick it up at sears.

I

·
0 Posts
I keep one socket set (metric and regular) on a clip strip on my work bench. I keep my wrenches hanging on pegs on the wall above them. I also have a roll around work bench I can use when working on a car so I can move the tools/parts as I go... but usually I end up getting all pissed off when shit doesn't go my way and throwing stuff on the ground.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
i like to keep my stuff in the set that it came. keep it as if it had just been bought. as soon as i'm done with it, even if i'm still under the car, it goes straight back onto the holder.

quick question (sorry bout the thread jack) what do you guys use in terms of torque wrenches, for torquing the head? i've been lookin around a bit, but i don't want to spend an insane amount on it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts