Honda D Series Forum banner

Tool Talk/ My Garage--- Everything related to Tools, and garage/shop related

54K views 490 replies 75 participants last post by  Boricuanolgy 
#1 ·
I figure since we are always talking about tools (hand tools, power tools, floor jacks, welding, painting) or what type of tools are better or where to buy. Maybe you hooking up your garage and want feedback when it comes to tool cabinets, compressors ect.

Anything and everything related to tools, your garage or any special type of equipment that we can all benefit from, post it here.

Maybe you know about special sale on a special tool or a certain store is having a sale, post it here and let us all know about.

PLEASE LETS KEEP IT ON TOPIC, NO BS please!! Lets get this rolling!!

#212 ·
??????????

let me start a debate. I'm looking to buy a good router for wood. Yesterday I went to sears and bought a craftsman router table I liked and it came with a router for $100 father's day clearance I guess...

9amps 1-3/4 Hp with a light on it. What a fucken piece of junk :? So I will take everything back and get my money back to buy the better craftsman router table I really want for $200 but NO WAY I will get a craftsman router. Sorry craftsman. You serve me good on other power tools and my hand tools but I seen your router reviews, They're much worse then the other top brands...

anyways, I want to go to Home Depot this week and get a good router. Now, they got Dewalt, Milwaukee, Power Cable, Makita and Ryobi. Maybe Ryobi but the cheap price doesn't catch me. I'm leaning more towards Dewalt or Power Cable. I guess something with 12amps 2-1/2+ HP.

what do you all think?? :thinking:

#218 ·
9amps 1-3/4 Hp with a light on it. What a fucken piece of junk :?
here's the router and table I bought couple days ago..

this piece of junk didn't even turn on on me. I put it all together, mounted router and hit the switch. Only thing that came on was the Lights lol. I tapped it with my hand and it started but sounded like shit and sparked inside the router like crazy! :pinch:

I like the table but I think I might make my own table for a router...

I'm taking it back tomorrow.

#213 ·
I'm a carpenter by trade, I'm self-employed and run a crew of 3-10 guys (depending on what time of year it is). I have owned multiple woodworking tools from all of the major brands. If I was to buy a new router tomorrow I would definitely go with a Porter Cable, they are designed more for the tradesman and seem to be more heavy-duty. You could get the Ryobi and it would pbby work great, but it might burn out on you by your 4th or 5th project? Makita would be my second choice.

#215 ·
You could get the Ryobi and it would pbby work great, but it might burn out on you by your 4th or 5th project?
that's what I don't want. BUT, I'm not going to use the crap out of it either. I'm a mechanic and a metal worker if anything. But I also want a wood router that's going to last me a good while to serve me good. Lite duties I ain't no woodworker pro lol

#217 ·
If and when I get a big compressor for my garage or my home set up I want to have hard lines go around the garage so I don't have to deal with hoses.

I course you will still need one for power tools but it would be a short one. I have seen kits that comes with detachable couplings so pretty much you can add more stuff if it comes to that.

#222 ·
thats how mine is setup in my garage. all hardwired than a 60 foot hose and a ton of smaller length hoses i use. got one line going to a filter/water/oil seperator for painting and what not and the other line going for 3 way coupler for tools

but honestly i have never used that compressor for tools in my life. i used it like once or twice. i use my small 10 gallon compressor for my car since it will take any bolt off that the 60 gallon will.

#227 ·
so I just bought a house with an awesome 2 car garage, and I'm acquiring tools to fill it now and I'm stuck between two ways of doing the same thing - should I get a cherry picker to pull motors/trans up and out of cars, or a hydraulic lift table to drop them out the bottom instead? I know for my G35 the lift table makes way more sense, but I'm not sure about on the civic side.

I searched and didn't see anything related to those in this thread

vs.

#228 · (Edited)
I will go with the cherry picker. In order to be able to used the lift table or an ATV jack you have to be able to lift the car high enough and drop the car low enough. A car lift is awesome to have for this, It can be done with jack and stands but you have to be able to lift and lower your car.

I will think this would work better and it is cheaper than owning a lift, I haven't use one myself but it should be able to lift an engine from the ground right into position.

Telescoping Gantry Crane - 1 Ton

#230 ·
I have bought a lot of power tools lately for woodworking. I am really starting to enjoy this new hobby and have rapidly stopped my interest in my civic engine rebuilding and parts :?

I'll post some pics soon when I return. Not a bad space Boricua. You need shelves for storage to increase space. I wouldn't mind helping you building something for you now that I'm more into woodworking :biggrin:

#231 ·
I have the holes already made for the shells, just need to get me some L brakets and shells and I can have two rows of shells, one on top of the other one, that goes half around the garage end like this shape --> l_l

have to get rid of some stuff in order to have more room, like to be able to open both doors in the Civic without hitting the walls.

I always had a passion for wood, to be able to see a furniture and go home and duplicate it should be fascinating besides everyone knows that the stuff you get at the furniture store this days is nothing but junk. There are nothing but old houses and farms around my way and you should see the amount of people that comes every time one of those properties goes for sale or auction, most people go for the wood. Some of the wood that you can get is no longer available or you can't longer get without special ordering it and paying a fortune. Jesus work on wood maybe thats another reason I love wood.

#232 · (Edited)
Pata- Good choice getting the Porter Cable router. They make solid, respectable tools. And nice foot, too ;)

As far as lift vs. cherry picker... I'd opt for a lift, myself. If you've got the space to have one, it can make life SO much easier. Almost any engine can be installed from underneath, very easily. Just have a good stable jack/table to put it on when you pull it and reinstall it. Plus, you can always get a decent engine hoist down the road if you'd like one for some projects.

EDIT: I'm a moron. I didn't pay attention to lift table, just lift. Still, same applies, I think. If you can get the car up high enough, a lift table would be excellent.

#234 ·
Pata it would be less if a mess if you send me those harnesses. Lol.

#239 ·
Here.
Hopefully somebody gets some ideas out of this. Been meaning to post it for a while now. Cleaning some pics out my phone.

Anyways, I've always like the whole Peg board idea to have hand tools up so I can grab them quick and get back at it. So I did this little piece and put it on the wall right behind my workbench.

I went to Home Depot and got a sheet of peg board. Flipped it to use the brown side.

Here I am mocking peg board on the wall space I want to use..

also grabbed some 1x3 to make a frame behind the peg board. You'll see why in a bit..

Cut the 1x3 to frame the pegboard

#240 ·
now finding the studs behind the drywall, I used drywall screws to put up the frame first. Some garages don't have drywall. That will be even easier to put this up =P

Then screwed on the pegboard. I used shorter screws for this. But you can use the same screws. Always remember to use some sort of level on your boards and so they can be up straight y0!

Now, peg board hooks. Home depot sells them also, you can grab them while your getting all your material. I went to Harbor freight and got a bunch of different kinds and size of hooks. They were a lot cheaper too..

and then put the hooks however you want to hang your tools n stuff. The frame behind the peg board helps you insert the hooks. I just found the idea better then just screwing a plain peg board up on the wall, the hooks won't fit in the holes... So here we go!

#246 ·
Is this is your personal garage in your house, is good idea. I'm renting my garage and I keep all my stuff lock in the toll chest, would love to set up the whole wall with a peg board and put as many as the tools that I used regularly in there but I'm afraid somebody will break in and steal all my stuff. If there are inside the tool box it would be harder for them to take it. I probably will do a peg board anyway and put out a few tools.

#248 ·
I rent this place so anything I do to make the garage to how I need it so I can work and feel comfortable, I'll yank out if and when I get another place. Or when I get my own pad. Of course having your Own house with a Mad garage is one of the greatest dreams to come true but while that's in the wishing well, you can have a nice set up in a small garage or in a place you rent. No biggie. Just make it portable or mobile.

So for example in your case Boricua, if you really really want a peg board but afraid of some tools being taken from the hooks, make a peg board cabinet....

maybe something super simple to make and cheap like this...

or even better, something like this one for mostly everything.
This one is teh shet y0

best part is you can take it with you when you jam :yes:

#250 ·
If I had wood working tools to make something like this, I would..

Or I guess a trip to harbor freight to grab a saw would also do it..
But thats badass and can roll to your next place when u move.

Wish I woulda nade one of these back in shop class years ago!

#261 ·
Nice buy. Those hydraulic pumps are so wonderful for so many things.

Damn some of you guys have a lot of random tools. Most of which arent even in MY work tool box. This should tell you something, if your only using the tools for working on honda/acuras. Well assuming you know where I work.... Oh look, a big old blue H sign out front.

Maybe I will post a few pics of the tools occupying my tool box.
While not my personal tools, I'll get some pics of some of our shop tools for working on the locomotives. Some interesting looking stuff.

And then there's the meggar ;)

#252 · (Edited)
I have some ghetto tools I made from years ago that I still use every once and a while.

^here's my camera mount for my cars. Just a plain PVC pipe with 2 holes and a 10mm bolt. The 2 holes on the left go through the headrest and the 10mm is for the camera. Ghetto but it works! No vibration or anything like that too. I usually attach it to passenger seat.

Here are some vids I took with it.
http://youtu.be/MFQ3-wLezCg

http://youtu.be/QzqoNr0V810

^Here's my vtec engangement tool. The fitting on the left goes into the check port in the LMA holder. I push compressed air into the other side with a regulator. I used this to check my valve lash when I installed a crower stg. 3 a long time ago.

^Here's my crank pulley holder. I use this with a plumber's wrench to either tighten or loosen the crank pulley by hand. Now I just borrow my friend's 3/4 impact, works much faster.

I gotta clean up my garage before I start posting pics, I got an old school project in there too that my father and I wish to restore.

#253 ·
This is in line with your tools- I found a site that is an archive of ideas and how-to articles for making or modifying tools. Some of it is crap, but some of the ideas are pretty good. Check it out if you have the desire (and time)! I got a kick out of the Tig filler rod feeder in the Miscellaneous category! :punk:

Home Made Tools

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.