Honda D Series Forum banner
281 - 300 of 491 Posts

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts

Bought this today and it's a total piece of CRAP!!
I wanted it for small stuff around the house. I went to harbor freight today and picked it up got home and at first it just kept turning on and off on its own and wouldn't build pressure so I went and exchanged it got another one. I got home set it up AGAIN and it worked so I started washing my rims with it after about maybey 10-15 minutes of use I hear a pop and look behind me and the damn thing is smoking!!! This thing is going back right now. I wouldn't recommend it at all not even for the lightest project.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've never had any luck with electric power washers. I've just stuck with gas powered ones and they seem to do the trick just fine. Had something similar to the one you have but I bought mine at O'reilly auto parts and it did the same thing over and over. Waste of $$$

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
I bought a pressure washer at sears and probably used it twice and by the third time it was giving me problems, no it doesn't work. Maybe the winter time rusted it out in the inside? Sucks cause I barely got to used it.

Manage to finally get my a Snap On charger for my impact gun for $35 shipped on ebay, I got lucky cause the cheaper I have seen them was $75 + shipping.

Some of my friends got the electric 1/2 impact driver and even my brother said that it kicks ass.

While I was working today at a military base, in the bathrooms it has lots and lots of magazine like for hunting and cars, and I got about four 25% off coupon from Harbor Freight that I will be using pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
Power washers have a tendency to fail because of back pressure during startup or being run dry. You've gotta keep the trigger on for flow through the unit prior to starting and shut it down the same way to give it half a chance to survive more than a few uses. Even then, one that gets used infrequently is more likely for the seals to dry out & split in the pump. IMO, they're one of the most frustrating pieces of equipment around! :(

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Power washers have a tendency to fail because of back pressure during startup or being run dry. You've gotta keep the trigger on for flow through the unit prior to starting and shut it down the same way to give it half a chance to survive more than a few uses. Even then, one that gets used infrequently is more likely for the seals to dry out & split in the pump. IMO, they're one of the most frustrating pieces of equipment around! :(
You can said that again, my electrical was even worse, it was liking everywhere on the first time of use.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Handheld power drill Impact wrench Impact driver Hammer drill Drill

Dewalt impact driver and hammer drill. I love the driver works really good I put a 3/8 adapter on it to use it with sockets and works well. I haven't had a use for the hammer drill. I picked these up brand new in the box never opened for a steal of 200$ and I'm in love. I'm going to be buying the 3/8 impact wrench soon.

·
Registered
111 Posts
View attachment 62545
Dewalt impact driver and hammer drill. I love the driver works really good I put a 3/8 adapter on it to use it with sockets and works well. I haven't had a use for the hammer drill. I picked these up brand new in the box never opened for a steal of 200$ and I'm in love. I'm going to be buying the 3/8 impact wrench soon.

Got just about the same thing awhile back, came with the drill, impact driver, and 1/2 impact. That plus 4 batteries and a charger all for $215. Used but in great shape. Found them at a pawn shop. Love them. They all work awesome.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
View attachment 62545

Got just about the same thing awhile back, came with the drill, impact driver, and 1/2 impact. That plus 4 batteries and a charger all for $215. Used but in great shape. Found them at a pawn shop. Love them. They all work awesome.
Which model you guys got? brushless motor? 12v 18v 20v? I'm always checking my local Pawn shop, crazy good deals on tools. Just saw this the other day M12? Cordless 3/8" Lithium-Ion Ratchet | Milwaukee Tool but I want to get my 1/4 hex impact m12 fuel impact but I know that this other ratchet will work awesome as well. I just love the M12 Milwaukee line up they have some many tools, I haven't seen a brand/model other than Milwaukee with so many different tools/adapters and their M12 Fuel line up its just insane. I highly recommend it!!!!

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
I need to pick up a precision straight edge soon. My headstuds came loose and i have to replace the head gasket. Figure for $50 i can start checking my mating surfaces instead of just sending them to the machine shop. The head and block have both been resurfaced so hopefully they are still in spec. Anyone have experience using one?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Which model you guys got? brushless motor? 12v 18v 20v? I'm always checking my local Pawn shop, crazy good deals on tools. Just saw this the other day M12? Cordless 3/8" Lithium-Ion Ratchet | Milwaukee Tool but I want to get my 1/4 hex impact m12 fuel impact but I know that this other ratchet will work awesome as well. I just love the M12 Milwaukee line up they have some many tools, I haven't seen a brand/model other than Milwaukee with so many different tools/adapters and their M12 Fuel line up its just insane. I highly recommend it!!!!

I have the 20v max I don't think it's brushless I'm still waiting to get my 3/8 impact wrench :(

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
I need to pick up a precision straight edge soon. My headstuds came loose and i have to replace the head gasket. Figure for $50 i can start checking my mating surfaces instead of just sending them to the machine shop. The head and block have both been resurfaced so hopefully they are still in spec. Anyone have experience using one?
I've used them before; here's a procedure for using the straight edge:

1) Use a wire brush and carburetor cleaner to completely clean the bottom, sides and top of the head. There should be no carbon in the cylinder head combustion chambers or on the flat part of the mating surface. When you have finished you should have a shiny metal surface.

2) Place the head with the combustion chamber facing up. Secure it in a wide-jaw vice, or prop the head with wood blocks (I used machinist jacks, but that was just because I had them already) to keep it stable. Take a new, steel straight edge ruler and place it along the outside edge, from one end of the head to the other. Place a feeler gauge in the gap between the bottom of the ruler and the head surface. Start off with the smallest feeler gauge blade.

3) Work the feeler gauge along the head until the feeler gauge slides in. Change the blade thickness of the feeler gauge to find the maximum allowable gauge thickness that will enter the gap. Measure up and down the length of the head and record the thickest feeler gauge blade that passed through the gap. Write that number down. Perform the exact same procedure on the other side of the head. Write down the thickest blade measurement that passed under the straight edge.

4) Place the straight edge along the cross-section of the head, from one corner to the opposite corner. You will do the same with the other corner, which will form an "X" pattern across the head, bisecting it through the middle. Record the thickest blade that passes through one angle. Write the number down. Switch to the other corners and take the same measurement. Write down the thickest blade that passed under the straight edge.

5) Measure straight across the ends of the cylinder head and record the thickest feeler gauge blade that will pass under the gap. Perform the same measurement on the other side. You should have six measurements. Refer to your tech repair manual for the maximum allowable "out-of-flat" tolerances.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Yeah i have the full procedure and all the specs in the helms manual. I was just wondering the degree of frustration involved lol.

Also i dont think ill be taking a wire wheel to my gasket mating surfaces. Ive seen people use a plastic type "wire wheel" even i used one on my coworkers diesel block per his request but for me some soft scotch brite pad is all ill use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
The scotchbrite rol-loc pads are my preference, although the finger pads are good too. The biggest thing with any of them is to avoid sitting on edges or digging in with them- you just want to let them lightly lick away at the surface contamination that can cause false readings. I've used the finer, soft wire brushes in the past without a problem as well.

It is a simple, straightforward procedure. I prefer setting the head up on a large surface plate and using a dial test indicator or surface height gage to check surface variation (as opposed to the feelers) now since I have that option, but a good straight edge and feeler set will do the job without any trouble. Either way, the surface of the part being measured has to be spotless for accurate readings. Just be sure that the straight edge is always touching the machined surface that you're measuring in two spots on the plane you're measuring so that the feeler can establish the third for a good flatness measure.

·
Registered
15 WRX STi
76 Posts
Just picked this tool set up i had to start over with my tool set after i moved and my pops needed to keep my set of tools to start his new job as a vehicle inspector for an auction.
But anyways here it is, got it while it was on sale i believe it still is $129.99 from sears
Craftsman 220 Pcs

i need to buy a set of combination wrenches and a new tool box as well. Has anyone else heard of the rumor about craftsman being manufactured in "China"?
Or is that just their power tools?
I know your basically paying for the name itself, I've owned a few Pittsburgh tools from Harbor Freight and never had an issue with them and i used to use their impact sockets at my previous job doing Chassis Maintence and repair, and not 1 has ever broke, and they took a beating along with my Matco Impact Gun, i dont have an acutal photo of my impact but this is it Matco 1/2 In. Impact Wrench MT1758A

281 - 300 of 491 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.