Honda D Series Forum banner
201 - 220 of 491 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I've used our shops chassis ears once or twice. Ours suck because they are corded lol, so lots of zip ties are needed to keep it from drooling and hitting shit when driving.

Our shop has a really nice snap on boroscope
, which is awesome for checking cylinder bores and stuff.

borescopes are awesome!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Dial type torque wrenches aren't as accurate as a click type, but are good for things that you torque a lot in a day like drain plugs and wheels. You don't have to turn them down to the lowest setting when they sit (like a click type) and dropping them doesn't affect them. So if you don't need super accurate get a precicison instruments dial torque wrench. They are cheap and the manufacturer for snap ons dials, they are literally the exact same except the writing is red instead of blue for the snap on version.

I send me torque wrenches out every 1-2 years to get calibrated, free calibration through the dealership.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
1/2" snap on 50-250 ft lbs click type.

3/8" snap on 10-200 inch pounds click type.

3/8" snap on 5-75 ft lbs click type.

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
What torque wrench you guys use? I have a 1/2 inch Craftsman that I use 25 lbs - 250 lbs. I also have this 3/8 that I just got to deal with anything less than 25 lbs, but my question is how do I know I'm applying the right foot pounds?

As you can see in the pictures, you supposed to turn the handle till it reaches the desire measurements but I don't know if I'm doing it right.

The black part of the handle itself has numbers from 0-10 in 1/2 of the handle and another 0-10 in the other half in multiples of 2 (0-2-4-6-8-10). Now if I set the torque wrench at Zero, the Zero mark is already on the 5 pound mark on the casting mark of the wrench, does this means I'm at Zero or five pounds?

If I turn the black handle clockwise and count the markings of my torque Wrench handle it will take a complete 360 on the handle to 20 lbs but according to the casting marks on the wrench it says 15 lbs.

So which one is the one to follow, the makings on the black handle or the markings on the Torque Wrench?
All of this type I've ever dealt with were calibrated so that the zero on the moving part of the handle aligned itself with the vertical line of the scale when the handle collar just touched the lowest horizontal calibration line. In other words, if the low number is 20 the collar should align with that mark and the vertical line 0 on the collar should align with the vertical scale c/l. From that point, dialing in the torque increase is as simple as turning the handle flush with the marked scale setting and adding the individual marks on the collar to get the desired setting.

Some are a little funky- I've got one that runs up to 285 ft-lbs that has 15 divisions on the collar. It still zeros the same, but as you go up the scale you have to pay attention as to where you're at or it can confuse you. Thirty on it reads as the collar flush on the mark but the vertical mark on the collar is 10. Still thirty ft-lbs (20 + 10), but it looks as though it could be 30 + 10 if you aren't paying attention. No worry to folks that always double check their settings anyway, but I figured I'd mention it since it's the only one I've got like that out of 4 clickers.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
All of this type I've ever dealt with were calibrated so that the zero on the moving part of the handle aligned itself with the vertical line of the scale when the handle collar just touched the lowest horizontal calibration line. In other words, if the low number is 20 the collar should align with that mark and the vertical line 0 on the collar should align with the vertical scale c/l. From that point, dialing in the torque increase is as simple as turning the handle flush with the marked scale setting and adding the individual marks on the collar to get the desired setting.

Some are a little funky- I've got one that runs up to 285 ft-lbs that has 15 divisions on the collar. It still zeros the same, but as you go up the scale you have to pay attention as to where you're at or it can confuse you. Thirty on it reads as the collar flush on the mark but the vertical mark on the collar is 10. Still thirty ft-lbs (20 + 10), but it looks as though it could be 30 + 10 if you aren't paying attention. No worry to folks that always double check their settings anyway, but I figured I'd mention it since it's the only one I've got like that out of 4 clickers.
That's pretty much what I found in youtube, I used it today and double checked it with my other torque wrench, my craftsman and it was right on.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
today i masterfully over engineered a hose rack for my compressor :D
i'm going to add a couple of more bars to the left side and make a lil tray to hold some random tools or whatever... will also add some sort of rubber mat so i dont have to hear them vibrating when the compressor runs :wacko:

i still have to add a couple of bars under the hose rack, triangles = strength...

Reactions: Pata and Fenris

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Yo Boricua I'm still waiting for your garage picture. Don't be embarrassed lol

I'll show mine in a bit. I've been doing some spring cleaning finally :biggrin:
I will as soon as I'm back in the state, I have all those pictures in my hard drive. I'm looking for crazy Edd here in the island

dude, I don't know what got into me but I'm starting to buy a collection of power tools for wood working :pinch:
I been dying to learn how to work on wood and do some furniture.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
??????????

let me start a debate. I'm looking to buy a good router for wood. Yesterday I went to sears and bought a craftsman router table I liked and it came with a router for $100 father's day clearance I guess...

9amps 1-3/4 Hp with a light on it. What a fucken piece of junk :? So I will take everything back and get my money back to buy the better craftsman router table I really want for $200 but NO WAY I will get a craftsman router. Sorry craftsman. You serve me good on other power tools and my hand tools but I seen your router reviews, They're much worse then the other top brands...

anyways, I want to go to Home Depot this week and get a good router. Now, they got Dewalt, Milwaukee, Power Cable, Makita and Ryobi. Maybe Ryobi but the cheap price doesn't catch me. I'm leaning more towards Dewalt or Power Cable. I guess something with 12amps 2-1/2+ HP.

what do you all think?? :thinking:

·
Premium Member
EF Civic Hatch
96 Posts
I'm a carpenter by trade, I'm self-employed and run a crew of 3-10 guys (depending on what time of year it is). I have owned multiple woodworking tools from all of the major brands. If I was to buy a new router tomorrow I would definitely go with a Porter Cable, they are designed more for the tradesman and seem to be more heavy-duty. You could get the Ryobi and it would pbby work great, but it might burn out on you by your 4th or 5th project? Makita would be my second choice.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
You could get the Ryobi and it would pbby work great, but it might burn out on you by your 4th or 5th project?
that's what I don't want. BUT, I'm not going to use the crap out of it either. I'm a mechanic and a metal worker if anything. But I also want a wood router that's going to last me a good while to serve me good. Lite duties I ain't no woodworker pro lol

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,967 Posts
today i masterfully over engineered a hose rack for my compressor :D
i'm going to add a couple of more bars to the left side and make a lil tray to hold some random tools or whatever... will also add some sort of rubber mat so i dont have to hear them vibrating when the compressor runs :wacko:

i still have to add a couple of bars under the hose rack, triangles = strength...

How did I miss this, I have the same compressor from Lowes!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
If and when I get a big compressor for my garage or my home set up I want to have hard lines go around the garage so I don't have to deal with hoses.

I course you will still need one for power tools but it would be a short one. I have seen kits that comes with detachable couplings so pretty much you can add more stuff if it comes to that.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
9amps 1-3/4 Hp with a light on it. What a fucken piece of junk :?
here's the router and table I bought couple days ago..

this piece of junk didn't even turn on on me. I put it all together, mounted router and hit the switch. Only thing that came on was the Lights lol. I tapped it with my hand and it started but sounded like shit and sparked inside the router like crazy! :pinch:

I like the table but I think I might make my own table for a router...

I'm taking it back tomorrow.

201 - 220 of 491 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.