Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 19 of 62 Posts

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
They fix them right there at sears. I took a 1/2" ratchet and the gal couldn't figure out why it kept jammin. She put 3 rebuild kits. Nada. So I filled out a slip and craftsman sent me a brand new one.

I have a 1/4" flex head ratchet from snap on. I bought it from a member here. Best lil investment I've done on that thing yet. Fine tooth. Flex head. Good friend for small hard to reach hardware.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
which one will you buy? I already know people talk a lot of shit about harbor freight. Some might not even like craftsman. I'm not asking about all that stuff but I would be interested to know what machine you would go with and why? Pros and cons.

I've done some research on both. Just reading. Who has experience on these?

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Mainly what do you want to do with it? Like use a impact gun on it to break a axel nut loose? Or do you want a compressor that can run a die grinder with out loosing speed? Looks like the craftsman one is better, because after you run the air line you may only have 125-130 psi. What is the bar rating on both?
This is the one I have and because it is oiless it is Noisy as hell, If you were closed by I will have sell you mine.

Whats your budget on the compressor? Are you planning on doing any painting with it? what voltage you have.

This is an awesome deal for a compressor and it is a lot quieter than the oil less model and the price is pretty reasonable.
2 Horsepower, 29 gal., 150 Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor
I've been doing research on both for a week now! I've ALWAYS a compressor in my garage just to speed things up. I invested in cordless air impacts, drill n shit. But sometimes you need that extra kick for maybe removing a axle nut if I'm already using it to work on a car in my driveway. I know with air tools, I can work waaay faster. Specially with a air ratchet. Weekend project jobs only. Not for everyday.

also to blow parts out when I'm cleaning them, sanding stuff down. I use computer cleaner right now lol. For small projects only.

and yes, maybe to grind stuff with a wire brush or grind something down smooth.

again, just for small projects in garage or home. I have a big gas air compressor I use for work. I sometime use it if I REALLY need it for a crank bolt that don't want to budge. And I paint parts also.

But now on the reviews, I did notice that these are loud when on. I don't know about that. I may be able to live with it. But what if it gets to me? lol

So for example that big one you posted Boricuanolgy from harbor freight. I like the fact that its not loud like the oil less ones. But again, reading some reviews, had to replace this fitting, air gauge, drain plug, etc. That's why I was leaning towards the craftsman one or even a husky from Home Depot? If I'm going to spend $300 + on one. Of course I would like to get warranty to be on the safe side. Wtf man! I've never typed this much on 1 single post :pinch:

snm95ls,
I think a 60 gallon will be tooo big for me ha!

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
In for info on a compressor that will handle painting, a die grinder, and impact tools without running out of air pressure. I know cfm and line size is important just not too familiar with how much is necessary for what I want to use it for.
Remember when you came to my pad for a spare tire? When was that anyways? You remember that other utility truck I had? That big gas air compressor? Get one of those lol. Shit will NOT let you down.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
The ones I show you are 110.

About the harbor freight compressor, it wouldn't not be the first thing that Harbor Freight sells that with a bit of modification you will end up getting something that can work like the more expensive compressors out there.

I have seen videos of spray guns from harbor freight that after being modify the work as good as the top of the lines ones.

Check the review and see whats the negative stuff they are saying about the harbor freight one and see if you can correct the problem.
here is a good review from someone.
Real good review for something I'm looking for actually...

There are some issues I had to deal with.

1] After break in you need to build up pressure to check for leaks. Well, I had one. Of all places, the pressure switch. Of course the cover tells you not to remove due to serious hazard. Do I take it back or fix it my self. In the manual there is nothing about leaking pressure switch. Needless to say I fixed it. So what I did was UNPLUG the power then remove the cover. There are four bolts holding down the plate. {star head bolts]. tighting them down and no more air leak.

2] I'v seen this write up before, the Max pressure only go's up to 140psi. Well it happen to me. There is a small screw you need to turn to bring up the pressure. It's under the pressure switch cover. Make small half turns. Bleed the air till it kicks on and watch the gauge till it shuts off. Keep making half turns till you get to 150psi. You wiil have to do this a few time till you get the correct setting. Oh yes, UNPLUG the power! That's of course if you have this problem.

3] Speaking of pressure gauge. The one that shows the tank pressure, ... well it's not the greatest. Sometimes you may have to tap it to see the correct gauge. It sticks. I my self went ahead and bought a couple of liquid filled 2 1/2" gauges to replace them with. If you can live with it then fine.

4] Last but not least, the oil drain plug. Saw this write up also. What a pian. Just find a funnel that's thin enough to fit under the pump and frame and tilt back a little and be ready for a mess. it get's easyer, ya.. right.
Oh, and for reference, it's 16oz of oil. No where in the manual tells you this. 16oz Compressor oil.
You may want to change the oil after you unpack the unit. I did and I found some metal shaving in the oil. Also change it after break in. [ my second oil change was after fixing the leak and pressure setting.]

I would still by another one if I had to. This is really a good compressor. 82 dBA, SCFM air delivery. Can't beat the price.
I may buy the extened warranty just to be safe.
Oh, one more thing. The dimension, what they say is way off. The foot print is about two square feet.
41" tall 23" wide and 23" long.

Hope this helps.
2 Horsepower, 29 gal., 150 Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
but for a couple hundred more, these are in my mind also lol

Craftsman Professional, 1.9 hp, 27 Gallon Vertical Portable Air Compressor

and

Ingersoll Rand 20 Gallon Air Compressor, Vertical Tank, 2 HP

and

Campbell Hausfeld, 3.2hp, 26 Gallon Compressor

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
What I'll probably do is just get a lil used 20 gallon belt driven air compressor for now and focus on getting my garage cleaner and neater. Make another work table with a peg board and set up another shop light n shit. I'm rebuilding a y8 right now. Haven't had time to hit it these past 3 weeks. Got my truck stolen last week so I'm still recuperating from that buying new gas mobile machines for that and new tools :? still need air tools which I should be getting very very soon.

It was a good fantasy run looking at these brand new air compressors thou :) I know later down the line I can save up all my coins and buy one for sure.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Lowes for an air compressor.

30 gallon standy, looks very much like the IR standy except different belt cage.

$449,

^^^ right there with ya Bone... :)
bought mine about 4/5 months ago... need to weld up some kind of hose hanger deal...
FUUUUUUUK YOOOOOUUU GUUUYYSS!! LOL!

I like. I may swing by Lowes and check it out.

what are the cons you see on/experience with this compressor?
and did you guys buy extended warranty for it?

:pinch: I'm still kicking my ass on getting a new one :pinch:

1 - 19 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.