Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Beaver Built: Tool Review Tuesday, 04: Smith SC179 17", 90* Straight Cutting Torch

I use this thing every day at work. I despise it, despite being one of the best made tools that I have ever come across. It is nearly entirely quality stainless steel, fits superbly together, can get run over, dropped a hundred feet, stepped on, etc. and will fire back up and get the job done.

I HATE the lever. I don't like the knob placement. It is pretty ridiculously expensive, even if it can outlive you. Cutting with it feels very awkward. I much prefer the classic Victor-style torch as you can easily flop the body around so that the lever is under your palm, making for a more natural grip on the torch for a much improved feel and ease in handling while cutting.

This is totally NOT Beaver Built Approved, but you might find it suitable, especially if you want a very reliable tool to cut crap or heat stuff up.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Our company is even considered more modernized than most. It's honestly kinda dumb.

But, even with plasma, you still need a torch around for heating and beating, or to cut stuff that is way over the capacity that the plasma cutter is rated for. That torch can shear through 6" thick plate with the right tip and beefy enough lines/regulators to feed that kind of beast. A plasma cutter that can do that would cost several tens of thousands of dollars and is not something that should be operated by hand, which adds even more cost.

*shrugs* We barely have a dinky air compressor in my particular shop that can't even keep up with air arc gouging for occasional full-pen welds. If we had a big honking air compressor it would be easier to justify running a plasma cutter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts