Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed my tokico illuminas with h&r springs. right now the front sits a little higher than the back so i am hoping it will settle and even out. i put the struts all on 2. it is way more responsive than my old stock struts. i had a question though. how do you def know they are on two. can you turn the knob only one rotation and then you have to turn it back the other way once you reach 5, or can you just continue to turn it around to the number you want regaurdless if you go past 5. i didnt pass five yet, just incase it would mess something up.

ryan

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you with your questions. But, I'm considering the Illuminas for my EJ2 & was wondering what your impresion was on the quality & performance. What spring rates are you useing?

Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have the illuminas, the adjuster will turn all the way around. It does not affect it at all. If you go past five, it will goto one, and it will be soft. You will not damage them.

BTW I love my illuminas, even for autox. However I have no rear sway bar, and progressive ~350 lb\in fronts ~250lb\in in the rears. So it sucks for hardcore autox, but im going to see if a sway bar will fix that. Otherwise I love it for DD even in West Virginia roads.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
If your front is higher than the rear then I think you may have mixed up the front/rear springs. The longer ones go in the front to support the weight of the engine and tranny.

I DD w/ illuminas set to 2 in front and 3 in the back to reduce understeer.

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
I wound call what I do 'hard-core Autocross' but I don't plan to use this car for much else. Sounds like the Illuminas will be good for a could of years.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry about hi-jacking the thread.

btw, most automakers & spring coumpanies use higher ft rates to induce understeer as it is easier to recover from than oversteer & therfore "safer". Most racers, in fwd cars, use higher rr rates to induce oversteer because its faster but requires more driver skill.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the springs were labeled front and rear. the longer springs were actually for the rear. the front springs are a heavier coil though. i have a noise in the front end so i am going to get it checked out after school today and i will let you guys know what i think.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
the springs were labeled front and rear. the longer springs were actually for the rear. the front springs are a heavier coil though. i have a noise in the front end so i am going to get it checked out after school today and i will let you guys know what i think.
mislabeled maybe?

the longer springs, from what I've seen, go in the front

·
Registered
99 Civic SE 4 Door
293 Posts

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,444 Posts
My Illuminas/springs sit like that too. never went away but not really all that noticble.

there is no way you got the springs mixed, you would know it immediately. you are right to assume the bigger, wider wound coils go upfront, while the tighter wound springs go in back.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
I have the illuminas, the adjuster will turn all the way around. It does not affect it at all. If you go past five, it will goto one, and it will be soft. You will not damage them...
what he said :TU:

i have the illuminas as well and i absolutely love them. IMO for the price, quality, adjustability and performance, they can't be beat. 5 adjustment settings is more than enough for the street or the recreational weekend racer.

when i was cruising with the lady and the kids, i would run them on 1 and it almost seems softer than stock but not bouncy. when it was just the lady and i, setting 3 was good for a night out on a sat where you want it kind of plush for the lady but want a bit of performance in case the two of you have to show some punk kids how you do ;)

setting 5 was what i considered "Me Time" :TU:. just myself, my car and some twisties echoing with the symphony of wide open throttle, a short ram AEM and the Espelir hollering in unison :D :D

FUCK i want to drive my car :roll:

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i had a popping noise in my car when i turned my wheel. come to find out it is my tie rod end. i will be replacing it tomorrow morning. i do see what you mean about the knob on top. it turns out one of my knobs is stripped out which is why it felt like there were no definite notches for the numbers. does anyone know if you can get replacement knobs. i put them on 5 today just to see what it was like. they are freakin stiff. i think i will leave them on 2 or 3 for every day driving.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
i had a popping noise in my car when i turned my wheel. come to find out it is my tie rod end. i will be replacing it tomorrow morning. i do see what you mean about the knob on top. it turns out one of my knobs is stripped out which is why it felt like there were no definite notches for the numbers. does anyone know if you can get replacement knobs. i put them on 5 today just to see what it was like. they are freakin stiff. i think i will leave them on 2 or 3 for every day driving.
you can get replacement ones from tokico or probably any authorized dealer which sells them.

i had one break on me so i just used one of the others ones to adjust the one with the broken knob. once you use them enough, you'll be able to adjust them blindfolded :D

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you should be. i have had both: the hp and illumina. the hp's were good for a daily driver, but the illuminas give you awesome adjustability. i will make the 45mile journey to school tomorrow with them set on 5. should be fun:lol:

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, I can't help you with your questions. But, I'm considering the Illuminas for my EJ2 & was wondering what your impresion was on the quality & performance. What spring rates are you useing?

Thanks
the spring rates are 320lbs front, 200lbs rear

1 - 20 of 27 Posts