Skunk2 springs/struts/camber kit
Skunk2 short shifter
poly motor mount inserts
Avid Tq mounts

also go-autoworks 2.5 charge piping

thats at 16 psi
WTF!

oh btw was tuned by Evans Tuning

only thing i can think is maybe something to do with the trans cause i started to loose 4th getting tuned
then on the way home it just about got stuck in 5th.not sure if its related or not

See less See more
#2 ·
wouldnt have anything to do with the tranny. jeff is a great guy and knows his shit... he would be the only one to know why its not making the power that you wanted.. which was??? maybe he kept the tune conservative

#3 ·
nah he is just as baffled as us....and yes he is a great guy! def knows his shit but couldnt fig it out either.....as to y im asking all of you

his last d tune was like 6 month ago

so hes a bit rusty on the d

n i was shootin for 300+

350+ when i cam it but that dont matter now

#7 ·
switch to a 62mm tb, i dont understand why he would do a 4th gear pull.. plug gap..??? whats the AFR looking like? how much ignition timing??? is the car truely at TDC?? is the air filter on the turbo clogged..??? boost leak..??? do a boost leak test with 20psi thru the turbo inlet and tell me if you have any leaks... any leaks around the wastegate?? manifold to turbo?? manifold to head?

#10 ·
switch to a 62mm tb,
dont have one do you think the t/b would hurt it that much? if so do you think a cam would help remedy that problem?

i dont understand why he would do a 4th gear pull..
tuner pref...he like to put as much of a load on the motor as possible
plug gap..??? iirc its 28 (what the ngkbkre7 come out the box)
whats the AFR looking like? 16.1 cruise, then where it should be

how much ignition timing???
have to look but he played with it added 7 to what he had with these #s and nothing well 2 then 7
is the car truely at TDC??
Yes

is the air filter on the turbo clogged..???

no, we tried pulls w/ and w/o

boost leak..???

if there is its small although we did find the bov flange was warped so we fliped it over and welded it on(was a screw on flange

do a boost leak test with 20psi thru the turbo inlet and tell me if you have any leaks...
will do at my earliest convince have to make one lol home deopt here i come again lol

any leaks around the wastegate??
holds boost great so not of significance but ill take pics in the day light of the w/g mani for ya maybe youll see somethin we missed

manifold to turbo?? manifold to head?

oh also i do have supertech valve springs in it

#8 ·
i call bs your a liar and never built the motor its simply stock and boosted

#14 ·
hmmm yeah home depot.. a coupler will make a cheap great boost leak tester.. thats waht i have...

as for the plug gap, when i checked mine out of the box, they were all different gaps. but i dont think thats the problem here... a boost leak will KILL power.. your car will show 16psi on the guage, but its not TRUELY 16psi.. its hard to explain.. it has alot to do with cfms... somewhat like 2 different size turbos on the same boost level, but pushing out different cfm's.. your turbo will work harder with a boost leak to keep the boost where it should be, and it will show that your at 16psi, but your not....
you just need to check for leaks... a small leak will make a big difference when looking for numbers on the dyno... i always like to test mine with at least 5psi over what im running

#18 ·
ok so ill do a boost test when i get a sec to get to home deopt hopefully this weekend....i think if its leaking ne where its at the bov cause the flange was warped, plus it didnt look to be acting as a bov either almost like it was surgeing

#17 ·
well thats strange. curious to results

#23 ·
What is with newbs asking for ignition maps? srsly? how bout i just send you some ignition maps that will help your motor out!:3dtard:
now think about it this way you spend your hard earned money for a tune to give to someone......no.....not that it would even bennifit you.....
I got tuned by one of the best tuners on the east coast! check your head next time!

and no my fins arnt bent......even if they were that would not cause this problem!

theres no need to question the tune of this motor. Its spot on. something else is wrong sounds like a boost leak. what is the spool RPM? Id get the 3in exh. and check for leaks
full boost at about 3800 ish ill have to ask Jeff for a plot with the boost map onit

HAS to be a boost leak my man. ebay turbos make more power with less boost. what BOV you using? check BOV, check your PCV piping routing. is it still hooked up in stock config? if thats the case that could also be it. but i do know it was not the tune, it has nothign to do with if the engine was built Neg rep for that fool who said that. fucking idiot, stock would make more whp, HIGHER CR, lighter cast pistons!! smh just wouldnt hold it as long. anyways find your boost leak. thaats what it is if the PCV and BOV arent leaking.
not a stock pvc

vented catch can
2 -10's on the vc

-12 on the block drain back

i will say theres a bit of smoke coming out the filter tho.....not enough for concern tho

i think i might try to hit the flange with a da and 80 grit to flatten it out..and see what happens

oh im running a gredy type rs iirc ill post a pic of my bay tommorow fresh pic even:bigok:

#21 ·
theres no need to question the tune of this motor. Its spot on. something else is wrong sounds like a boost leak. what is the spool RPM? Id get the 3in exh. and check for leaks

#38 · (Edited)
1) WTF is up with people and slapping on TB that have more flow then a healthy ported b-series head? damn. 62 mm on the street is mroe then enough.

2) i would also like to see the ignition map. why? cause its worth nothing with out the fuel map and it will show where the timing might be taking a dive or messing up. no worries about me stealing your map, as it does me no good with a f22 ;).. plus i still have the map for my built/boosted y7 ;).. but i understand why you wouldnt post it. i wouldnt either really.

3) the log manifold is a restriction, but not at the same time. they make great spool off the line. remember your manifold design characteristics. log will choke the top end, but make sweet love to the bottom end. ;)

4) the exhaust is fine, ~300 whp is still with in reach of a 2.5 inch exhaust. running open dp will allow the most flow out of the turbo during tuning. this should have been done if you really were aiming for the sky.

5) only thing i can suggest is, more time on the dyno. this is after the normal maintenance. check cam and distributor timing. check fuel pressure. check the valve clearances. check and recheck the plug gaps. remember, dyno numbers are not everything. compare it to a known car and see if the dyno numbers are actually lying. dynos talk, drag strip walks ;).

theres no need to question the tune of this motor. Its spot on.
not with that power output. the tune is only as good as the info being put out by the engine/sensors. this engine is putting out crap for numbers, its going to be crap from the tuner. no matter how great the tuner, a crap engine/sensors = crap results. :bigok:

#22 ·
HAS to be a boost leak my man. ebay turbos make more power with less boost. what BOV you using? check BOV, check your PCV piping routing. is it still hooked up in stock config? if thats the case that could also be it. but i do know it was not the tune, it has nothign to do with if the engine was built Neg rep for that fool who said that. fucking idiot, stock would make more whp, HIGHER CR, lighter cast pistons!! smh just wouldnt hold it as long. anyways find your boost leak. thaats what it is if the PCV and BOV arent leaking.

#26 ·
There is either a boost leak or a mismatch in your setup. My guess is gonna be big turbo and mini log. But who knows something is really holding you back. You should have been in the 350 range with that thing.I guess lets start with the easy simple shit and go from there. I saw the same thing with a cast topmount and hx35 fucker would not make power.... In for some results wish you where closer I would have let you try out the topmount and see if that helped any....

#27 · (Edited)
probably a boost leak.... also ngkbkr7 do not come .29 out of the box... thats the only plug i run in my boost setups... and they come around .40 .... and if you put them in your motor the way they come out of the box.. pull all the plugs, regap them down to .28 and try it again...

if you start blowin out the spark your not gonna make power, but then again if you were blowing out the spark, i think it would have showed up on the dyno....

what size charge pipe are you running? what size downpipe and exhaust are you running?

log manifold could be holding you back... also change to a smaller tb like everyone else has said... even with a cam i dont think you need more then 62

just think of it this way... from the turbo to the intake manifold into the intake side of the engine, you have all this flow... then it dumps into a log manifold and your flow goes to crap especially at high boost

#30 ·
thats a good idea too....

but depending on exhaust it may not be restrictive... i ran 2 1/4 straight pipe from turbo to back bumper... but i doubt anyone else runs that kind of setup daily driver on here....

my vote is boost leak and log manifold

#32 ·
well to answer the questions

2.5 exhaust all the way back no restrictions tanabe racing medalion exhaust

2.5 hot side 2.5 cold

idt the mini ram is really a restriction tho...

as far as the plugs i check them b4 i dropped in and they were all with in .001 of .028

#36 ·
huh.....:3dtard:

Guess you could do a boost leak test if that aint it throw a diff turbo on and see how it feels. I got a feeling its your turbo but I have no evidence proof or reasoning why. Just a feeling.

#37 ·
exhuast is fine, it aint that. friends y7 put out 240whp on 2.5 and 2.25 exhuast. took him 19psi also but. ebay turbo FTW on a stock y7 head with vitara. did you happen to pull the turbo apart? and forget to put the o ring back in on the compressor side?

#41 ·
his manifold may be hurting him... but the thing is, its not the CAUSE of the low numbers... why? because im running a cast manifold with a h1c holset with no problems at all.. my trap speed shows that i have over 400hp.

#44 ·
i would honestly have an ebay crap cast manifold then a log....

atleast the cast manifold has ports where the exhaust gas doesnt ram into eachother then get shoved down a hole like a log

the cast can flow... the log cylinder 1 and 4 have to bypass 2 and 3 to flow... atleast it seems like that to me where they are all connected right into each other.... doesnt seem like it would make power... but i dont really know i have never messed with a log just from the design to me it doesnt look like they would flow well...

but like you said, the exhaust manifold shouldnt be holding him back at all theres a prob somewhere else

#45 ·
ever seen a greedy cast manifold?????

You can't fit a finger down #4 exhaust port it sucks so bad.

There are decent cast manifolds, and some cheap OK ones that are even better the the junk Greddy.

#46 ·
damn the greddy one???

is it able to be ported to fix the issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.