Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that's my dilemma, I'm going for a rebuilt block but I'm not sure what head to use,this will be an A6 block but not sure what head to use. I have the A6 head, bought the engine complete so I'm thinking maybe vtec head? Now the thing is for tuning purposes I've read with vtec there's certain problems with tuning and with nonvtec it's a straight up shot. I'm looking to get 250whp maybe more and I'm going with eagle rods vitara pistons 75.5mm not sure what turbo yet and head so your insight, advise, experience will be much can some one post their set ups similar to this :3dbiggrin:
Thank's

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its mostly personal preference. You could run the a6 head and just not use the vtec. The vtec heads flow better and your turbo would make up for the power loss in the top end from not having vtec. With the d series its mostly noise anyway, lol.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
4,639 Posts
its about preference with the d-series. if we were talking b-series this would be obvious.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Doesn't the y7 have the same design as the z6 in terms of flow but without the vtec?

Who'ed you piss off for the neg rep? Lol!

·
Registered
82 Posts
On the y7-y8 it is the intake on the vtec head that give the performance gain. But I have heard the z6 is better over the y8 so I'm not sure on every d series. I'm sure there are unfavorable heads as far as flow goes.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The y7 and the z6 share the same intake runners and combustion chamber. Just no vtec on the y7 obviously. But a many have had success with this head. So it really does come down to preference with these 3 heads. The y8 also has a better combustion chamber for boost but again it will all depend on what you want. You can port a y8 to match the flow of a z6/y7.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd just hook up the VTEC Head, install the VTEC sensing unit and the related plumbing for oil to the cams, and then (and I'm only about 90% on this) grab the ECU from another car from your year/generation that was on a VTEC motor, and it should be relatively simple. Tuning should be a self-tune deal. You shouldn't have to change any settings. Plug and play. Like I said, I'm only about 90% on the ECU, but there's only one way to find out, right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im having the same debate. I'm looking at about 250whp or so when I get started on my build. Have to find a CRX first.
My thoughts are that I want to stick with the a6 head so that tuning is more straightforward but I also know that v-tec has a few perks and drawbacks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In what way is the y8 combustions chamber better for boosting? Just asking because I was going to buy a z6 head for my build but I have a used y8 head on my car now. I am going with the z6 intake and a b series tb.

·
Registered
841 Posts
In a D id go non vtec.
Non vtec for the D i must say, its nothing really special for the d series at all and nothing that would really help you in the long run..like said before if it was b series then hell yea but were talking about the dinky over head for this istance.

Now if you do plan on going vtec i would tell you to go with the z6 head and mani or even the y8 mani and do alittle porting, but that is all up to.

GL

1 - 20 of 38 Posts